Thread: Mailing List

Post������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������ Mailing List

Our Mailing List will now be membership in the board.

What I mean is... we will be phasing out the old mailing list, which was just a simple list, and instead will start utilizing the mailing capabilities of this community.

This is so we only have ONE list, and the community is the place for the updates.

What's it mean to you? Well, if you haven't joined our previous mailing list, all it means is that if you'd like to be on a mailing list to be updated when new items become available on the site, or any message we feel is important to notify people about, you just need to join this Community Message board.

For those on the old list, we will be sending out a couple of email reminders to switch over to the board.
    Brian Shea
    Co-Director of Fallen Brothers Foundation
    (foundation charity dissolved 2006)

No Junk Mail

As everyone on the old list can attest, we do NOT bombard you with email.

As a matter of fact, some of mentioned that we don't send out enough notices.

We hate junk mail. I delete over 100 junk emails a day, so I would never burden anyone else with junk.

The only thing we will send out are notices of items might have been delayed in coming and people are anxious to know about... like the recent Ornaments that came in the week before Christmas. A lot of people were able to get their ornaments before Christmas. (I was quite amazed actually)

Another message, which I never look forward to, might be a notification of another Fallen Brother or Sister. Let's hope we don't ever need to send out a notice for that. Note also that we might not even send notice for that. We're not a news service. We're more likely to just let you know if there is a new fund setup.

So, worry not about junk mail.
    Brian Shea

Join board but not the mailing list

If you want to join the board, (which the main benefit of joining is so you can easily see what's new since your last visit), BUT, you don't want to get emails, that's ok.

You can opt out of emails very easily in your options. Look at that little button up top that says 'user cp'. That is the "User Control Panel" where you can change a lot of options. There's so many there I don't even know what's there.

Anyway, if you go to the options (Edit Options), you will see a simple choice for: Allow Bulletin Board Administrators and Moderators To Send You Email Notices?
    Just choose NO if you don't want to be on the mailing list.

--oh, by the way, while you're looking at those options, please check "Hide Email Address" as YES. There's no reason to display your email address to everyone. If someone want's to reach you, they can email you through the site without ever seeing your email address. Always protect your privacy.
    Brian Shea

Privacy

Complete Privacy

We do not share your email address or ANY info that you might give us with anyone. Period.

We ask that when you join, make sure you choose the option to keep your email hidden. No one needs to see. Advice: don't post your email address on other websites either for everyone to read, unless you really like junk mail from strangers.

Yes, even when you hide the email address from the website, we can still view it as administrators, but we have no need to. And only we can view it.

Another nice feature, which I'm sure almost nobody ever thinks about... your password is encrypted. Even WE (the administrators) can't see it. We don't WANT to see it. It's none of our business what your password is.

If you forget your password, you can have the board email you instructions on how to create a new one. Make sure you have a valid email address.
    Brian Shea

Use a real email address

Don't use a bogus email address. Those who do practice that know what I'm talking about.

There's no need to. We're not doing anything with it, and it's only for your benefit that the email address is valid in case you need to retrieve your password and stuff.
    Brian Shea