Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue 003

Rescue 3

Last edited by patries; 01-11-2002 at 10:52 AM.

Rescue 3 Page

Last edited by SeaBreeze; 02-26-2002 at 06:01 PM.

Pains reach deep to the heart of FDNY

NEW YORK: In a series of in-depth interviews, New York City firefighters talk about the future. The department they've devoted their lives to is on the verge of a tumultuous future

Rescue 3: Back From the Abyss

New firefighters, gear rebuild shattered unit

By PATRICE O'SHAUGHNESSY
    Daily News Staff Writer

Firefighter Mickey Conboy, in a well-worn turnout coat and helmet bearing a white "3" on a blue background, stood at ease in the nighttime chill outside a Washington Heights apartment building; a minor kitchen fire had just been doused.

He and five fellow members of Rescue 3 had raced here from their Bronx headquarters the way they race to every fire above 125th St. and to every building collapse in the city: poised for peril.

It was the way seven other Rescue 3 firefighters and their captain raced to the World Trade Center, never to return.

Conboy and his company portray the splendid, bold past of the Fire Department, as well as its recent devastation. And standing there on W. 187th St., his blue eyes doleful but brightened by the flashing red lights, the 17-year veteran bespoke the future of a wounded FDNY.

"We lost a lot of great guys, but there are still a lot of great guys left," Conboy said. "The spirit of those 343 men lives on in us. People rely on us and we rely on each other. The department as a whole will carry on."

Rescue 3, like the other fire companies throughout the city, has been quietly rebuilding itself after the enormous losses of Sept. 11.

The storied company received seven firefighters to replace those killed at the twin towers. It is back to responding to all fires in its area, and high-tech equipment destroyed or damaged at the twin towers has been replaced.

"I lost a friend here, and I felt like I had the experience to fill a void," said Firefighter Jeff Cool, who came in October to the company where his pal Tom Foley gained fame for his daring and his dark good looks.

"You never really fill it, I guess," Cool said, pulling on his boots beneath a banner listing the names of the dead and the heading, "Gone but not forgotten, the men of Rescue 3."
    "I'm trying to step up. Tom was just a great firefighter."
    So Cool left Ladder 19 in the Bronx, where he had worked 10 years, and is learning the ropes, literally, of rappelling a building or tying a victim securely into a rescue basket, from the 20- and 30-year-plus veterans.

Most of the firefighters in Rescue 3 wear their years of seasoning in lined faces or bushy mustaches streaked with gray. They are led by Capt. Ralph Tiso, a 33-year veteran from the days when arson ravaged the South Bronx.

"When our rig goes out, you have 100 years of experience riding on that truck," said Firefighter Greg Einsfeld, a 22-year veteran with eight years in Rescue 3.

Six hundred new firefighters have joined the FDNY since Sept. 11; half have completed training and are in engine and ladder companies. The special operations units

Rescue Company 3 receives donation

Rescue Company 3 receives donation

The guys at Rescue 3 on 176th Street didn't think twice before heading downtown September 11th.

Rescue 3 Documentary On Discovery Channel

On March 8th from 9-10 pm on the Discovery Channel.

NEW YORK FIREFIGHTERS. This special will tell the personal stories of New York's bravest in the aftermath of the worst moment in their history. The Discovery Channel was invited to spend time with the firefighters of Rescue 3 in the Bronx

Bronx firefighters to get new truck

Bronx firefighters to get new truck

02/03/02

Some Bronx firefighters are still recovering from the losses they suffered on 9/11. Rescue 3 in the Tremont section lost eight men, and one of their trucks had been severely damaged. And although, they can't bring their men back, a new truck could soon be on the way. News 12's Carolina Tarazona has the story.

These are the names and faces of eight Bronx heroes who died on September 11th. They were all from rescue three firehouse in Tremont. Their glossy fire truck still shows battle scars from its stay at Ground Zero. One that brings back bitter-sweet memories.

Lt. Jerry Murtha said, "this one was damaged but it can still go and being that there was such devastation to the New York City Fire Department, they decided to keep this one in service as long as they possibly could."

This Bronx firehouse, along with many other firehouses that responded to the trade towers, are now on a waiting list for a new truck. The list is long, but they say the gear is not as important as the ongoing support from Bronxites.

Mike Davis said, "even the community of the Bronx, the local schools, the politicians, they're just people have paid us tremendous respect, in that regard and really helped us out."

This help not only came from people here in the Bronx, but communities nationwide.

Mike Morrisey said, "it's been hard, a lot of people came out and showed their support, from all over the country, Kansas City, Texas, Little Momentos, it's nice knowing that people are behind you."

Rescue three firefighters say even though the new equipment will be helpful, the most important thing to them is remembering those eight men who perished on September 11th. Reporting from Tremont in the central section of the Bronx, Carolina Tarazona, News 12.

http://www.news12.com/CDA/Articles/...2840-25,00.html

New York Firefighters: The Brotherhood of September 11

TELEVISION REVIEW; Firefighters share lives post 9/11

Copyright 2002 Boston Herald Inc.
    The Boston Herald...03/06/2002

By Jonathan Bloom

"New York Firefighters: The Brotherhood of September 11."

Friday at 9 p.m. on the Discovery Channel.

Three and a half stars (out of four)

A total of 343 New York firefighters died on Sept. 11. Eight came from Rescue 3 in the Bronx. The Discovery Channel's "New York Firefighters: The Brotherhood of September 11" tells their story and those of the firefighters who survived.

The hourlong documentary, which airs Friday at 9 p.m., focuses on life in the Bronx firehouse after Sept. 11. It is tasteful and informative in showing how these firefighters live while coping with extraordinary loss.

The surviving members of the firehouse opened up their lives to the Discovery Channel less than a month after the attacks.

The program does a nice job reminding viewers of the firefighters' heroism without being too heavy-handed. Narrator Stockard Channing ("The West Wing") sticks to the facts, noting how New York firefighters may have saved up to 25,000 people that day.

The special allows victims' families and fellow firefighters to explain their losses, yet is sensitive when it needs to be. The thing "Firefighters" does best is stay out of the way, letting loved ones do the talking. Even if the conversations seem slightly staged, families and firefighters share generously.

As the firefighters explain, those 343 individuals likely knew they would never return from the World Trade Center but went in anyway. There were lives to save. It's nice to see the Discovery Channel enlighten viewers about how humans, not wild animals, behave in dangerous situations.

In the most moving moments, families visit the station to clean out the lockers of their lost ones. One 13-year-old plans to follow in his father's footsteps. Another son recalls the last thing his father said to him, a reminder about what a dangerous job he had. Touchingly, two daughters try on their dad's big, flourescent coat.

"Firefighters" is adept at picking up subtleties, such as the Plexiglas board listing the men on duty Sept. 11 that hasn't been wiped clean.

The show does stray off-course in telling of the escape of a few firefighters from Ladder 6, along with Port Authority officers and one civilian, but their story is riveting.

Appropriately, the documentary ends on a somber note.

When the show was edited, the bodies of only 138 of the 343 dead firefighters had been recovered. Only two of the eight lost from Rescue 3 had been laid to rest.

http://webpublisher.lexisnexis.com/i...-C4M9-00000-00

RESCUE 3 BIG BLUE

RESCUE 3 BIG BLUE PATCH

Adopt a "FIREHOUSE"

To All My Quilting Friends,

I know all of us are grieving and in shock ever since the attack of Sept. 11th. I lost someone very close to me and my family that day.

32 year old firefighter, Tommy Foley from Rescue 3, answered the call that day. He was just going off duty when the alarm came in, but he jumped back on the truck, along with his brother firefighters. And they never came back.

They are all true heroes.

The Foley family is the family that, each year since 1997, have sponsored a golf tournament in my deceased son's name. $25,000 has been raised in Bobby Rowell's name, with the money going to Canine Companions for Independence. The Foley's are the most giving and generous family I've ever known. Their deep faith is helping them through all of this, along with the love of their family and friends.

Maybe you too have lost someone you know and love. Well there is something we, as quilter's, can do. Something personal and lasting. My quilting teacher and great friend, AnnaMarie Tucker had a great idea. She wants to set up something she calls "Adopt A Firehouse." This is how it would work. It is starting with us and with one firehouse at a time.

Our group is adopting Rescue 3, Tommy Foley's firehouse. We want to make lap size quilts for each firefighter that was lost (8), and for each firefighter that survived (21). Because, as AnnaMarie says, the survivors are suffering too. One of the firefighters from Rescue 3 left behind four children under the age of six. So we would like to add four baby quilts as part of our gift. Our goal is to have this done by the end of April, and the quilts will be delivered in person to the firefighters. The Foley's will be hosting a get together in the summer for all the surviving firefighters of Rescue 3, and we are invited to present the finished quilts to them at that time.

If any of you, my talented quilting friends, would like to be a part of Rescue 3 "Adopt A Firehouse," please email or call to let me know, and I'll add your name to the list and give you all the particulars.

Or, if any of you would like to start your own group, adopting your own firehouse, email or call me and I'll give you another firehouse. My nephew is a Deputy Chief for the FDNY, and he is compiling a list for me of all the firehouses that lost men.

Another thing that can be done is to spread the word. Contact your local guilds, quilt shops, and other quilting friends. And then ask them to spread the word to all their friends and guilds. Ask a quilt shop to put it on their web site. I've already asked Quilter's Attic in Pine Bush to put it on their web page, and they said, absolutely. I am going to have a flyer made and I can mail them to anyone who wants to leave them at quilt shops, guilds, etc.

I know you'll feel great participating in this worthwhile cause.

Thanks,
    Let's Roll

Colleen Rowell
    25 Lorraine Road
    Island Park, NY 11558
    1-516-432-2951
    quiltcar@aol.com

Firefighters tell the story of Rescue 3

Firefighters tell the story of Rescue 3

Of the 343 firefighters who died at the World Trade Center in September, only 138 have been found. New York Firefighters: The Brotherhood of September 11 (9 tonight, Discovery Channel) is a thoughtful, intimate look at one station that lost an entire crew and at the colleagues and family members they left behind.

Rescue 3, located in the South Bronx, is one of five elite rescue companies in the New York City Fire Department that are dispatched without ladders or water about 50 times a week. Armed instead with tools and skills specifically geared for dealing with collapsed buildings and other such disasters, the men of Rescue 3 left the station house at 8:45 a.m. Sept. 11. They never returned.

Today, a Plexiglas board lists the names of the eight on duty that fateful morning: Hickey, Meisenheimer, Blackwell, Regan, Spor, Gambino, Foley and Schrang. The documentary, which includes exclusive disaster footage, is narrated by actress Stockard Channing. But the primary voices in the hour are those of men such as Jerry Murtha, Mickey Conboy and Nick Giordano, who worked with the fallen eight for years. In a job that requires them to live like extended family, they have coped with pain and loss in the aftermath and now seek inspiration in, among other places, the children left behind.

Ryan Blackwell, 13, who helped clean out his dead father's locker, wants to be a firefighter someday. "He was a guy who sacrificed his life for anybody else's life ... like any of the guys here at the Rescue."

Staff writer Nancy McAlister can be reached at (904) 359-4370 or via e-mail at nmcalister@jacksonville. com.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/enmcalister/

MEMORIAL RESCUE 3 FDNY

"REMEMBER THEM"
    CAPTAIN BRIAN HICKEY FDNY RESCUE 4 WAS WORKING WITH FDNY RESCUE 3 ON 9-11-01
    Last edited by Neil; 03-20-2002 at 10:20 PM.

FDNY RESCUE 3 WELCOME WORCESTER RIDERS TO COLORADO SEPTEMBER 2000

FDNY RESCUE 3 HONORED WORCESTER RIDERS TO COLORADO
    DURING MONTH OF SEPTEMBER 2000.
    "WORCESTER REMEMBERS"
    WE PRAY FOR OUR BROTHERS OF FDNY RESCUE 3 "BIG BLUE"

Rescue 3 at WTC

Biographies of Fallen Firefighters from Discovery Channel

The Discovery Channel's biographies of the fallen firefighters from Rescue 3.

Biographies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast