Thread: FF Tim Jackson ********* - Lieutenant Posthumously

FF Tim Jackson ********* - Lieutenant Posthumously

Lost but not forgotten

Saturday, January 20, 2001

Telegram & Gazette Staff

WORCESTER-- Four of the firefighters promoted yesterday stood proudly in City Council chambers while family members pinned the badges of their new ranks on their uniforms.
    But the fifth firefighter was at the morning ceremony only in spirit. He was Firefighter Timothy P. Jackson, 51, who, with five of his fellow firefighters, answered his final alarm in the Dec. 3, 1999, Worcester Cold Storage and Warehouse Co. fire.
    Firefighter Jackson's widow, Mary Jackson, of Hopedale, tearfully and gratefully accepted the lieutenant's badge and the certificate of the posthumous ********* for her late husband.
    Firefighter Jackson is the second, and last, of the fallen firefighters to receive a posthumous *********. On Feb. 24, the late Firefighter James F. Lyons III received his ********* to lieutenant.
    Firefighter Lyons, 34, had passed the Civil Service examination for lieutenant and had been approved for his ********* before he died.
    Firefighter Jackson, according to Deputy Fire Chief Timothy J. Gray, also had passed the lieutenant's examination and been approved for *********. His ********* already had been scheduled for yesterday, before his death.
    The other fallen firefighters -- Lt. Thomas E. Spencer, 42, of Worcester, and Firefighters Joseph T. McGuirk, 38, of Leicester, Paul A. Brotherton, 41, of Auburn, and Jeremiah M. Lucey, 38, of Leicester -- were not on the Civil Service lists in use for the current round of promotions.
    Since the Civil Service test scores are valid for two years, new lists will not contain the names of the other four who died in the warehouse fire, Deputy Chief Gray said.
    Receiving their new badges yesterday were Lt. Philip F. Sullivan, promoted to captain, and Firefighters Stephen M. Connole, John J. Beahn and Thomas A. Gingras, all promoted to lieutenant.
    Mrs. Jackson, in an interview, said she and other family members were

Grunts & Squeals Hog Chapter Lt. Timmy

Lieutenant Timmy"

It was roughly 5:30 in the morning and I must have been about 20 percent awake reading the morning paper when the gravely voice of the ol' hound dog started buzzin' in my ear. I wasn't awake enough to understand exactly what he said or where his voice was coming from, but this is the gist of what I think I heard: "Hey, how're ya doin? Yup, that was me ya just read about there in the paper......yup, passed the lieutenant's exam....imagine that!!!....Mary's gonna pin the badge on me at City Hall later this morning....can you believe it!...all those hours of studying....all those missed rides with you guys....I did it! Man, this is way better'n a parade!!! What? You'll be there!?! No kiddin'?? Wow, that is so great! Really? Why, you ol' hound dog.... gimme a hug!!.........".

Later in the morning (and more fully awake), I enjoyed the very distinct, personal pleasure of attending the ********* Ceremony for the Worcester Fire Department, held in the City Council Chambers at City Hall. Four of Timmy's brothers from his "other" family (our "step-brothers?") got the formal recognition they had earned, as Timmy had, for their hard work and dedication within "the department." Then it was Timmy's turn. Mary was as proud as could be in accepting Timmy's new badge.....number 32. Then, I heard the voice again.......".......hey Broz.....I knew you guys'd be here......heh-heh....bet ya parked our rig right out there on the sidewalk on Front Street big as brass, didn't ya? ...heh-heh ......I knew you would....hey lissen....whaddya say when this is over we go get some air.....you know, run around the Quabbin or somethin'......get a cup of coffee somewhere......clean out the cobwebs....OK?......"

Hey Tim.....God Bless!