Thread: Disaster hits home for Hub EMS doc

Disaster hits home for Hub EMS doc

Disaster hits home for Hub EMS doc
    by Michael Lasalandra

Wednesday, September 19, 2001

A prayer service for Manuel DelValle, a Brookline High School graduate and New York City firefighter missing in the aftermath of the attack on the World Trade Center, is set for today in Boston.

DelValle, 32, is the son of Manuel DelValle and Gricel Zayas-Moyer, a nurse at Boston Medical Center. He is also the stepson of Dr. Peter Moyer, medical director of Boston's EMS, fire and police departments.

The service is set for 1:30 p.m. at Mission Church, 1545 Tremont St., in Mission Hill.

A seven-year veteran of the NYFD, DelValle was a member of Engine 5, located on 14th Street, just north of the WTC site, and had just gotten off duty when the attack occurred.

"He was supposed to go home,'' Moyer said. "He was having breakfast. He went as an extra person.''

Normally, DelValle was the engine's chauffeur, but because he was off duty, he didn't drive that day. Instead, he just jumped on.

DelValle went into the first of the two buildings that was hit and got to the 10th floor, Moyer said. "He didn't have his radio, I don't know why,'' he said.

When one of his fellow firefighters started experiencing chest pains, DelValle apparently stopped to help him.

"Nobody remembers seeing him after that,'' Moyer said.

The rest of the company got to the 20th floor, then felt the rumble of the second building being hit.

"They put out a mayday, and they all got down,'' he said.

All but DelValle.

"From what I heard, he was the only person missing,'' he said.

Because the family hasn't given up hope, "we're calling today's service a prayer service,'' Moyer said. "Hopefully, he'll be rescued.''

Although DelValle was Moyer's stepson, he was just like a son to the Boston EMS medical director.

"I moved in with him when he was 3,'' Moyer said.

In addition to his parents and stepfather, DelValle has a sister, Grace DelValle, and two brothers, Robert DelValle and Peter Moyer Jr.

DelValle was born in the Bronx, but moved to Brookline in time to attend high school, graduating in 1988. He later attended the University of Maryland.

Moyer said he wasn't altogether comfortable when his stepson decided to become a firefighter. "I was scared for him,'' he said.

Despite having worked with EMTs, firefighters and police for many years, Moyer said nothing prepared him for having to face his stepson's death.

"I deal with this every day, but I wasn't ready for this,'' he said.

Moyer said he is proud of his stepson. "He was a real hero,'' he said.

http://www.bostonherald.com/attack/t...mt09192001.htm

Picture from Prayer Service

Gricel Zayas-Moyer, left, leaves Mission Church with her husband, Dr. Peter Moyer, after a prayer service for their son, firefighter Manuel DelValle, in Boston Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2001. DelValle, a firefighter with FDNY, Engine Co. #5 in lower Manhattan, was last seen on the 10th floor of the World Trade Center assisting a fellow firefighter who had developed chest pains.