Timothy Haskell, 34, Firefighter, Teacher, Adventurer

September 18, 2001

Timothy Haskell, 34, a New York City firefighter and Seaford resident, was remembered by his family as a high-spirited man who embraced action both on his job with Rescue Squad 18 and off-duty on his fast boat and powerful motorcycle.

His family also recalled the delight with which he toured schools to teach fire safety, with his trained dalmatian, Blaze, at his side.

Haskell's body was found Saturday at the site of the destroyed World Trade Center.

His brother, Thomas Jr. of Massapequa Park, also a New York firefighter, remains missing. Among those looking for Thomas is Kenneth Haskell, a third brother in the Fire Department; brother Kevin, a carpenter; and cousin Frank Haskell, also a city firefighter.

Timothy Haskell, a former Nassau County correction officer, had been with the New York City Fire Department since 1993.

The son of a New York City firefighter, Thomas Haskell Sr., who is now deceased, Timothy Haskell grew up in Seaford. An athletic student, he played lacrosse and wrestled at Seaford High School. He graduated in 1985.

Frank Haskell, who was a rookie firefighter with Timothy, recalled that his cousin initially was reluctant to remain with the department. Then, on the last day of training, the firefighters were shown an inspirational film about the department.

"He came up to me and said, 'I know what I want to do. I want to be a firefighter.'" Frank Haskell said.

Timothy Haskell soon emerged as one of the department's elite, passing tests and undergoing intensive training before securing a spot at Rescue 18.

Off-hours, he was adventurous, said his sister Dawn Haskell-Carbone, of Seaford. He skied, water-skied and scuba-dived. He also loved animals and spent hours training Blaze for their appearances at local schools.

"He would say, 'Blaze, your clothes are on fire, what do you do?'" said his sister, "and she would stop, drop and roll."

Timothy Haskell is survived by his mother, Maureen of Seaford; his brothers, Kenneth of Wantagh and Kevin of Bellmore; sister, Dawn Haskell-Carbone of Seaford; two sisters-in-law, Genene Haskell of Wantagh and Barbara Haskell of Massapequa Park; a brother-in-law, Mario Carbone of Seaford; a grandmother, Olive Robbert of East Rockaway; seven nieces and nephews; and his companion, Gabrielle Sanders of Manhattan.

-- By Joe Haberstroh (Newsday)

http://cf1.newsday.infi.net/911/victimsearch.cfm?id=826