Thread: Poem:"Who Is a Hero"...In my Eyes

Poem:"Who Is a Hero"...In my Eyes

"Who Is A Hero...In My Eyes"

by Judy Cherbonneau

Written in memory of the victims of the tragedy that claimed too many heroes on September 11, 2001 in the United States. This piece is also dedicated, in honor, of their families, friends, and comrades who were left behind!

Since September 11, 2001 I imagine every American and every civilized human being in the world has asked themselves that question at least a thousand times. The question being, who is a hero in my eyes...to me?
    Since September 11, 2001 I have read stories of undying loyalty, self sacrifice, bravery, and friendships that ended in death, together as they thought it should be.
    Since September 11, 2001 we have learned that heroes wear dresses, slacks, and suits.They also wear turnout gear, police uniforms, medical scrubs, and carry briefcases or wear high heels.
    Since September 11, 2001 the world learned the names and saw the faces of the victims who perished. We have also seen the faces, felt the pain, and sorrow of the men and women who survived...these people made of steel.

Since September 11, 2001 we have learned heroes wear military uniforms and other heroes wave our beautiful flag in their hand and don't ask why.
    Since September 11, 2001 we have learned that heroes risked their lives to save others on the ground while they faced death in the sky.
    Since September 11, 2001 we discovered unsung heroes in New York, at the Pentagon, on the flights who were destined to change our lives forever.
    Since September 11, 2001 with tears in our eyes, we have bid these heroes goodbye and vowed not to forget...no never.

Since September 11, 2001 we have called heroes champions and fighters.
    Since September 11, 2001 we have prayed for each day to become a little bit brighter.
    Since September 11, 2001 heroes have been discovered in brownstone apartments, in sprawling ranches, in police stations, and firehouses while another kind of hero operates a massive crane.
    Since September 11, 2001 some heroes laid among the ruin and rubble...where some heroes today remain.

Since September 11, 2001 mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers have mourned for their brave hero.
    Since September 11, 2001 children, husbands, and wives have wept for their hero who died in that lonely field, at the Pentagon, and at Ground Zero.
    Since September 11, 2001 there is not one civilized living soul who has not asked why?
    Since September 11, 2001 there is not one civilized living soul who has not cried for those heroes who did not deserve to die.

Since September 11, 2001 we all have reflected on the meaning of heroism, bravery, self sacrifice, and undying love.
    Since September 11, 2001 we have learned the men and women who perished were heroes who now look down from above.
    Since September 11, 2001 we need to remember and love our fellow man, our new friends, and old. To admire our heroes wherever they may be or whoever they are.
    Since September 11, 2001 we must try to forgive our enemies and cherish our lovers and family who may someday, soon, be in Heaven, as a bright shining star.

Who is a hero in my eyes...to me? That question becomes simple when I think of America, New York, a lonely field in Pennsylvania, the Pentagon, and September eleven.
    A hero is someone who struggled to survive and did not, but who now resides with God in Heaven.
    A hero is someone who struggled to survive and did, but continues to deal with the pain, sorrow, and guilt as duty continues to call.
    A hero mourns the loss of their loved one who they will never see again and will truly be missed by all.

Who is a hero to me? The answer to that is easy.

A hero is the man, woman, or child who perished on September eleven, in this unprovoked attack.
    A hero is a solider who will defend and find justice for this senseless act.
    A hero is a fireman, police officer, rescue worker, or iron worker, who survived and who continues to search for other heroes at Ground Zero.
    A hero is a survivor who lost a mother or father, sister or brother, wife or husband, or child...that devastating loss makes a hero.

A hero is the Mayor of New York who has my greatest admiration.
    A hero is President Bush who has taken control, with his advisors, to seek retaliation.
    A hero lives in a big American city or small American town.
    These things make heroes and that is where American heroes can be found!

God Bless Our Heroes, Each and Everyone!
    MARK7914

Good Job! Thanks for the effort!
    Judy C. from NH

George D. Fenn
    Thank you for your words.
    There are just so many people who
    didn't give a care about the Police
    Firefighters,EMS crews and the military.
    Now people look at all of us differant but
    the very sad fact of it was the high cost
    of lives that fateful day.
    The cost was just to high and now my other
    brothers who also wear military uniforms as
    I also do are paying that price.
    Please keep them all in your prayers

Thanks

Thank You very much. All too often, Firefighters and police are never thought of unless we are needed. Then if and when we are needed & for some reason, we do not show up in a fast enough time for the caller, we are ridiculed and spoken down to. I have been a fireighter for 16 years and still going. As for the rest of the Americans, they are heroes of 9/11. If tell a firefighter that they are heroes, they will probably say "they are just doing they're job." A thanks is always welcome. So, thank you for the peom. May God Bless America.
    Brotherhood