CO-OP HONORS FDNY HEROES

Copyright 2002 Daily News, L.P.
Daily News (New York)...03/04/2002

By ROBIN HAAS DAILY NEWS WRITER

They watched them both grow up - from little boys who played with fire trucks to full-grown men who fought fires and saved lives - until Sept. 11.

About 350 friends, family members, neighbors, politicians, community leaders and fellow firefighters from all over the city, as well as tenants of Harway Terrace, a Bensonhurst co-op, came out in full force yesterday morning to show that Firefighters Alan Feinberg of Ladder Co. 4 in Manhattan and Battalion Chief Louis Modafferi of Rescue 5 on Staten Island would never be forgotten.

The people of Harway dedicated a new flagpole with a bronze plaque as a memorial to fallen heroes Feinberg and Modafferi, who both grew up at Harway Terrace on Stillwell Ave. and W. 16th St., a two-building complex of 1,200 mostly working-class Jewish and Italian families. 'Never forget' "It's a beautiful thing. We'll all remember Louis every day - both of them - when we see this," said Christine Atrazzulla, who has lived there 26 years.

"These two kids grew up here," said co-op President Carmine Santa Maria. "They were raised at Harway Terrace. We will never forget their bravery."

"When everybody else was running out of the building, they were running in - to save people," said Feinberg's mother, Sylvia Feinberg, who has lived at Harway the past 38 years. Feinberg left behind a wife and two children.

"He was always looking to help people. He was a very kind person. He wasn't afraid of anything," said Modafferi's mother, Rae Modafferi, who has lived at Harway since 1971. Louis Modafferi is survived by his wife and three children. 'Two brave men' Also attending the ceremony were Rabbi Joseph Potasnik, Msgr. Joseph Rosa, Borough President Marty Markowitz, Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-Manhattan), Supreme Court Justice Frank Barbaro, Assemblyman William Colton, state Sen. Seymour Lachman, City Councilman Domenic Recchia and a representative for Gov. Pataki.

"So seldom have so few given so much to so many," Lachman said.

Markowitz said, "The memory of these two brave men will be with us forever."

The flagpole "reaches all the way into heaven," said FDNY chaplain Potasnik. "We may be of different faiths and we may be of different faces but in their spirit, we belong to one human family."

As two firefighters raised the flag, Alan Feinberg's mother told her friends and neighbors: "I love my son and I don't have him. For the rest of my life, I'm going to mourn him in my heart."

She then turned to the firefighters standing behind her and saluted them.

http://webpublisher.lexisnexis.com/...0-G3X8-00000-00