Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just a discussion area

just a discussion area

I don't know if an area like this was needed, but I wanted to make sure there was a place to post general stuff that might not fit into the other categories.

Or, basically, just to chat.
    Brian Shea
    Co-Director of Fallen Brothers Foundation
    (foundation charity dissolved 2006)

I felt kind of badly seeing this area sitting here not being used so thought people might like to know something about you guys, where you're firehouse is located. I'm new here so don't know anything really. Where do you live when you're not on duty? Do you have children? Anything you might want to share. What do you like to do in your spare time? Anyone else have questions?

what spare time?
    Brian Shea

Cool������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

I can relate to that one

Sorry

Sorry

dreamweaver,

did you still need your username changed?

email me the name you want and I'll take care of it.
    Brian Shea

Thumbs up������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� Return Message

Hello Brian

Is there anything that I can do to help with your work?

I know I live in England, but surely there is something I and some of my friends and family can do?

I would like to express my admiration for your work. I am sure that many of the brotherhood and their families worldwide appreciate having such a advocate.

Bless you
    Carol

Thanks Carol.

I wouldn't exactly call myself an advocate. We just do what's right.

As for admiration and appreciation, I'd like to point out the incredible, seemingly non-stop input from everyone on this board. If you'd like to help, maybe you can assist finding articles and stuff to post on the site. There is probably going to be a ton of stuff this month, and we shouldn't expect things to just happen.

Let's make it happen. Anyone who wants to do something, see if you can add to the site, anything. Don't rely on a few people to do the work for everyone. Give a little.

And you don't have to focus on 9/11. You can comment on any firefighter....

Even if it's just 10 minutes of your time, once... that will be something. It does matter.
    Brian Shea

Hi my name is Melissa from Ottawa Canada and I wanted to write and let the firefighters know that I have been in contact with a 15teen year old from Austrilia for the last month and she has a wonderful message. She has been very sad since september 11th and for her she dosen't know how do deal with it. Also know that her country has been directly affected by terrorizm she is very hurt and is not quite sure what her future is. I have tried to remind her that the people who have done this are cowards and don't speak for everyone. I have also told her that her generation is our future and with hope and a lot of love and faith that her future will be brighter. I did let her know that we as adults have made a lot of mistakes in the past and know we are paying for them in away we never thought possible. I said that the only way to deal with this know is through finding terrorists and holding them accountable. I do wish her well and hope that no more pain like september 11th or last week will happen again. She wanted to say that all of you are in her heart and in her prayers everyday and that she wishes she could do more. I told her by being strong and loving herself and being close to her family is the best she could do and to go on and have a wonderful life. She has helped me a lot and I hope someday to meet this very wise child.
    From Melissa in Ottawa Canada

Post������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������ Canuck

Dear Mellisa

What a caring person you are! Not many people can find the words today to reassure our children in these uncertain times, but you have certainly found some of the ones that truly matter.

In Britain, I am sorry to say, we have had so much experience of violence, that we forget that other nations have never had to face the stark reality it brings. We do, however have the heart and soul to stand against those who bring such things to pass.

Please reassure your Australian friend that she is not alone in her uncertainty. Many of us, adults as well as our children are today asking the questions that matter. It is one of the good points that has been born from 9/11 and now Bali.

Tell her to keep asking those questions and to get her friends to do the same. One day, when they are adults, they will be proud to have made a difference. Change can only come when people care enough to want to make that change.

If caring means asking some difficult questions and having to accept that the answers are not readily available, then so be it, but keep plugging away.

In the meantime, please pass on some hugs from some British sisters to yourself and your dinkum mate.

Best wishes

Carol

I'd just like to take this opportunity as an Australian to thank those of you from around the world who have posted so many wonderful, supportive messages on our newspaper websites following the Bali attack. We've had hundreds from Americans, and many from Britain and Canada, among other countries, and I just want to say we really do appreciate the support. This attack didn't happen on Australian soil, but it was very close - almost honorary Australian soil I suppose, since Bali has been a favourite holiday destination among Aussies for years. I ask you also to remember the Balinese people, who with this attack have had their livelihood destroyed, since tourism is the mainstay of their economy.

Firemen on Strike

Just a few words to mention that our British firemen are starting industrial action in order to secure a much needed pay rise. There is talk that this action will be starting over the bonfire weekend, a very busy time for any fireman.

The last time they went on strike was in the 1970's and they have not had a significant pay rise since then, so they truly deserve this.

Contrary to popular opinion, the British public are supporting them. If any of the brothers out there have links with the British boys and girls, send them some messages of support please.

carol

Carol - if you have a look at the forum "In the News", there are a couple of articles dealing with the US firefighters' own battle to get a payrise. In New York, in particular, they've been told there just isn't enough money to do that... yeah, right So I think you'd find the British firefighters will have their American colleagues right behind them - and vice versa. Good luck to all of them, and I hope the fireys of both countries get the payrise they deserve.
    Last edited by Emily; 10-21-2002 at 04:05 AM.

Payrise

Hi Emily

many thanks for the info. Will pass this on. What is is about city officials and politicians? Why are the people who do the dangerous jobs always treated as second class citizens.

It is about time that they received the recognition they truly deserve. We have a saying in England, Vote With Your Feet. If your officials are elected, remind them that votes can disappear if the right things are not done.

After 9/11, who can possibly say the fire personnel are not worth the extra money they need, not just in wages, but in equipment as well.

Keep plugging away.

Carol

Fallen Brother

I was good friends with a Firefighter who lost his life in a arson fire, intetionally set to trap and kill a firefighter. This happen seven years ago and the crime is still unsolved. Then i was unable to spread the tragic news news to the rest of the fire community. With the help of this site I tend to spread the news and ask for support for his family and friends.
    Stand tall be proud, not everyone is able to become a FIREFIGHTER!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast