Queens School Has Two Fireman Dads Missing

CARL CAMPANILE
Courtesy New York Post

A Catholic school in Glendale, Queens, has been hit hard by the World Trade Center tragedy.

Teachers and kids returned to Sacred Heart school today to discover that two firefighter dads - both active in the parent association - are missing.

Fire Department Captain Patrick Waters has not been heard from since the Twin Towers toppled on Tuesday.

Neither has firefighter Scott Larsen, who has three kids in the school and whose wife, Carol Ann, is pregnant and due any day to deliver their fourth child. Her family has been involved in the parish and school for 40 years, school sources said.

Sacred Heart Church held a mass for the victims Wednesday night, attended by a standing-room-only, overflowing crowd of parishioners that extended to the entrance of the church.

Many wept over lives lost by the devastation.

Waters is the fund-raising chairman of the parochial school, and former parent-association president. He's also the Catholic Youth Organization basketball coach.

"I haven't heard from him since Tuesday morning," said his wife, Janice. "I just want him to come home."

Janice Waters said Patrick left home at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday and headed to the Fire Department's medical office in downtown Brooklyn for a checkup - before the hijacked jets rammed into the towers.

"I spoke to the Fire Department. He's confirmed missing, and the situation is grave," Janice said.

Waters, an 18-year veteran, is a captain of the department's special-operations team. He was overseeing the hazardous-materials unit.

His son is a fifth grader at the school. Another son graduated from the school last year.

"This is devastating for us. I can't imagine this place without Pat, so he has to be found," said Sacred Heart Principal Martha Accordino.

Added parent-association president Fred Haller, "It's a major loss. Pat is one of the most active parents in the school in the past 10 years."

Students and parents at nearby PS 113 also will be hurt if Waters is not found. Some public-school kids are on his CYO basketball team.

"This is horrible," said PS 113 parent president Gloria Morgenstern.

She said Waters is a positive influence on all kids in Glendale. She noted her son is on his basketball team, and his son is in her cub-scout troop.

"Pat wouldn't even think of the danger if he could help save somebody," Morgenstern said.

She noted that tragedy has also affected the staff at PS 113. Fifth-grade teacher Karen O'Leary reported that her brother - a chef in the World Trade Center complex - was missing

"This tragedy is hitting home in little Glendale," Morgenstern said.

http://www.firehouse.com/terrorist/15_Pschool.html