More Bravest, Police Officer Recovered from Ground Zero

Remains of 160 Firefighters Indentified; 343 Lost

Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- The remains of the only city policewoman killed in the World Trade Center attack were found Wednesday, along with those of two court officers and two Port Authority police officers.

Officer Moira Smith's name tag and shield were discovered near her remains at ground zero, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.

The two court officers were identified as Tom Jurgens, 26, and Mitchel Wallace, 34. The identities of the two Port Authority officers were not immediately released.

Smith, 38, was the second policewoman killed in the line of duty in the history of the New York Police Department. She wasn't ordered to respond to the World Trade Center on Sept. 11. She had been taking witness statements at a Manhattan police station and rushed downtown voluntarily.

Her voice was heard over a police radio, directing people out of the burning buildings as she helped an asthma victim. A news photographer captured her in her uniform, guiding a bleeding man to safety.

She was among thousands of police officers, firefighters, Port Authority officers and other emergency personnel who responded that day. Her partner, Officer Robert Fazio, also died.

Last month, rescue workers found the remains of police Capt. Kathy Mazza, who was among the 37 Port Authority officers killed Sept. 11 and the only other female law enforcer who died in the trade center attack, agency spokesman Greg Trevor said.

Twenty-three city police officers were killed in the terrorist attack.

Earlier in the week, the city medical examiner identified the remains of 21 people, including one flight attendant who had been aboard American Airlines Flight 11.

The continuing retrieval Wednesday came a day after the medical examiner positively identified the remains of two firefighters _ Matthew Barnes, 37, and John McAvoy, 47.

Barnes had been awarded the department's Honor Legion Medal for his role in a March 1999 rescue of infant twins from a Manhattan high-rise apartment fire.

Linda Kalodner leaned out the window of her 9th-floor apartment and handed the first twin, Isabelle, to Barnes. To reach the dangling child, Barnes first tied himself to the top of a 100-foot ladder and then had to reach out several feet toward the window to get close enough to grasp her.

Barnes brought the sleeping child to safety on the ground and then climbed back up the ladder to get the second twin, Jacob. Kalodner was evacuated by firefighters through a stairwell.

Of the 343 Fire Department members lost Sept. 11, the remains of nearly 160 have been identified.