Thread: Book - Report From Ground Zero

Book - Report From Ground Zero

I just finished reading this book. Very powerful, made my heart heavy for what the families are dealing with. For someone on the outside, looking in - it gives a glimpse into what the firefighters deal with on a daily basis with going down to the pile. I came away with the feeling that I wish there was more I could do and Thank You doesn't seem enough.

Maybe with this board we can make sure that none of the firefighters lost become just a number, but they are remembered for the individuals they were. That they remain Paddy, Kevin, Tom, Timmy, John, Ray, Pete and the list goes on. With your help we can. Let the world know what wonderful, dedicated, hardworking men they were. Add something to their boards.

Jean
    Last edited by SeaBreeze; 03-26-2002 at 05:46 PM.

Thumbs up������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� Site is mentioned

As Brian pointed out on another board, there is a very nice reference to this site - FallenBrothers.com in this book. Highlights the good work both Brian and Kevin are doing and have been doing, even before 9/11. Thanks Brian and Kevin

Brian Shea
    Co-Director of Fallen Brothers Foundation
    (foundation charity dissolved 2006)

Brian,
    It was nice to see the mention of this site in the book.

But, is it true that many firefighters are boycotting this book?

I believe there was some issues back in October/November, which I think were worked out. I haven't heard anything else about this.
    Brian Shea
    Co-Director of Fallen Brothers Foundation
    (foundation charity dissolved 2006)

Thumbs up������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� Excellent book

My wife bought me Report From Ground Zero by Dennis Smith. I have to say that it is the best book as well as tribute I have ever seen or read. I was a volunteer fireman for 4 years & enjoyed every minute of it but due to work I had to resign. I believe that anyone involved with the fire service should check out this book & pay attention to the detail & determination that our brothers had during that disastrous period. I would just like to say that my heart goes out to all the families,friend,and fellow firefighters that had to endure such a tragedy.

Report from ground zero.

I just finished reading, Report from ground zero by Dennis Smith. When it happend i watched all the media broadcasts and immediatly felt sorry for all the civilians that were lost, but somehow neglected to remember the heroic people that lost their lives in the line of duty. Whilst reading the book i lost count the amount of times it reduced me to tears but i know the sadness i felt for your lost brothers was only a fraction of what you all as a family went through. I sincerly hope that a tragedy on this scale never happends again.

Report from Ground Zero

I too have just finished reading it. Bought it at Newark Airport last year after being very moved by visiting the site. Many times both the book and the sites I saw at Ground Zero have had me in tears, and I don't think words are adequate enough to describe how it amkes me, and I'm sure many others feel. My thoughts are with all the fallen brothers and their families.
    GemmaU
    U.K.

Report From Ground Zero

Have just finished reading this book and have been reminded of the many wonderful people we lost on that awful day. My daughter lost two work mates, activities instructors on holiday in New York.

She has not allowed herself to grieve, saying she can only do so when she visits the site for herself. Reading the other messages posted by some truly concerned folks, I can only state that as long as one person remembers, one voice says their names, they will never be forgotten and their spirits will energise our search for a better and wiser world.

Carol

Thumbs up������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� report from ground zero

well writen book.

Thumbs up������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� Book comments

I also have cudos for Dennis Smith's "Report.....". All the emotional reactions aside, I must commend Mr Smith for enlightening those of us who have heretofore taken the firefighter's job for granted. His book was enlightening to me as far as procedures, tools, their interwoven relationships with co-workers and administrators, and a plethera of other aspects of these individuals. I look forward to reading his other books.

Report From Ground Zero

Thanks to Dennis Smith who so eloquently told the story of our tragedy. He made me cry at times like a baby, but he also inspired me and made me proud to be a child of a policeman and a cousin to three firemen. I saw the movie, "The Guys", which I found to be very moving. I am concerned about the respiratory disease resulting from the tragedy. I need to know more about this, and how people are coping with it.

Dedication.

I've just finished reading "Report From Ground Zero". It was like being in a train wreck. It assaults all the senses and left me completely drained. An incredible book. It brings home the effects of such a tragedy on real people, not just something that you see on the news. How ever did they cope with the emotional impact of it all?
    Some years ago I read an account of the firefighting effort at Chernobyl after the nuclear disaster. The Russian firefighters went into that job with the knowledge that they probably weren't coming out of it alive, and yet they still went in and did the job.
    The same spirit was with the firefighters at the WTC.
    Greater Love Hath No Man.
    Tony F.
    Tony F.