GOODBYE TO A HERO

By GEORGETT ROBERTS and BRIDGET HARRISON

April 14, 2002 --

Several hundred mourners gathered in Long Island yesterday to bid farewell to FDNY firefighter Richard Muldowney Jr. - a Sept. 11 hero they called "a fireman's fireman."

"He knew his job inside out and better than just about everyone else," said Jim Slevin, a colleague from Ladder Co. 7.

The emotional memorial service at the Our Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Freeport was packed with mourners, including Mayor Bloomberg, Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scopetta and Muldowney's mother, wife, two young children and five younger siblings.

"I feel sad. I still cry a lot because I miss my dad," said Kathryn, 10.

After hoping for seven months that Muldowney's body would be recovered, the family decided to hold a memorial service.

In place of a coffin stood a picture of Muldowney and two helmets belonging to Ladder Co. 7 and the Freeport Fire Department.

Bloomberg, after facing criticism for not attending enough firefighters' tributes, greeted the family and thanked them for giving the city a hero.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/45556.htm

Richard Muldowney's family - (from left) his son, wife, brother and daughter - honor him at a service yesterday. - Dennis Caruso