Thread: Kids' Memorial Quilt Warms Bravest Hearts

Kids' Memorial Quilt Warms Bravest Hearts

Kids' Memorial Quilt Warms Bravest Hearts

By RUTH BASHINSKY
    Daily News Staff Writer

Students from a South Jamaica school raised the spirits of firefighters at Squad 288 and their families yesterday when they delivered an oversized homemade quilt to the Maspeth firehouse, remembering those who perished on Sept. 11.

"I felt touched when I was working on the quilt," said sixth-grader Melanie Grenald, whose panels consisted of colorful flowers and people. "Although I felt sad because I knew a lot of people lost their loved ones, I felt good about what I was doing."

Melanie was one of nine students chosen to work on the 102-by-90-inch memorial quilt dedicated to the victims, firefighters and police who died on Sept. 11, particularly those from Squad 288/Hazardous Materials 1, the firehouse that lost 19 men.

"Making the quilt was a deep act of love and kindness from myself and the children who made it and the entire school," said Public School 140 special education teacher Deborah Davis, whose students began working on it in November.

"We chose Squad 288 because they lost more men than any other firehouse in the city," said Davis, who pasted 19 laminated photos

shirt for Ielpi

Remember that we have a shirt for Jonathan Ielpi from Squad 288 in the store.

It's the shirt with the 2 angels kneeling by the mourning firefighter.
    Brian Shea
    Co-Director of Fallen Brothers Foundation
    (foundation charity dissolved 2006)