Thread: Report from Ground Zero

Report from Ground Zero

I just finished reading Dennis Smith's book, "Report from Ground Zero" - which, incidentally, is where I found out about this site. I can't really express what that book made me feel in words - the anger at the terrorists that caused such carnage, simply because of a belief that we in the West are all evil - the grief for all those who died and for the families who will have to live with that grief every day - somehow those terms don't quite measure up. But the realisation did come to me as I read the book that this event truly highlighted the fundamental differences between our cultures - the terrorists who will stop at nothing to destroy life - and the firefighters and police officers who will stop at nothing to preserve it. And when I read the list of 403 firefighters and police officers who gave up their lives to try and help others, I felt a deep sense of pride mixed with the sadness. To their brothers left behind, who have to come to terms with this terrible loss, I just want to say, you are not alone in your sorrow. We are proud of you, all of you. You were, are and continue to be an inspiration to the world. And to Dennis Smith - himself a former firefighter - thank you so very much for writing this book. It's a story that had to be told.

I'm not really very good at words, I too have read Last Man Down and Report From Ground Zero, which is how I found out about this sight. It was always tragic, always. Now I feel like I know those 403 and indeed, like i know a good number of firefighters from reading those books and I feel like I've lost friends myself.

I wish I could write to each family individually and offer some support, I cant do that.

So, to those that see this, you'll always be in my heart, I will never forget all the brave people that went in to get people out, I will never forget the ones that didn't come out.

Take care of yourselves

Caroline xxx

Unhappy���������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

i have read lasrt man down and it maes me cry evrytime i read it
    god bless the Fire Department of New York http://photos.yahoo.com/manhattan_fdny_911/911 feel free to look at the picturs that i have up loaded