Thread: Special Report: Charity Donors Get Taken

Special Report: Charity Donors Get Taken

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/krnewyo...t_taken_1.html

Note from Brian: This is not the case with Fallen Brothers Foundation.

Special Report: Charity Donors Get Taken
    By RICHARD T. PIENCIAK

When New Yorkers give, they often get taken. Millions of dollars are being raised on behalf of charities that use the words "police" or "firefighter" in their titles.

Two such tax-exempt organizations
    Brian Shea
    Co-Director of Fallen Brothers Foundation
    (foundation charity dissolved 2006)

At Fallen Brothers, the scenario is different

At Fallen Brothers, we have been extremely lucky in that we have not had to do much marketing for our fundraising.

We are 'just here', on the web, and people thankfully spread the word. Marketing costs a lot, and we decided it was better 'marketing' to actually do what we say, and that is to raise money for the widows.

I don't have exact numbers right now from the accountant for percentage purposes, but our expenses are low, and Kevin and I do not get paid, so that is a big savings.

We've distributed over $100,000 since September, mostly to the UFA's Widow's and Childrens Fund. We send out monthly checks to the different firehouse funds for the money raised from donations accepted for their items, such as the WTC Bravest - E225 shirt, where proceeds go to the Faithful and Fearless Fund.

We did have a letter sent out in the last few months from Kevin. It had our pictures in it, and told a little of his story, then asked for donations. We are reviewing the cost benefits of these mailings, and if we find that they create a 'drain' on anything, we will adjust accordingly.

Our prime objective has always been to streamline our fundraising efforts to minimize work, while maximizing funds, which we continue to do.

When I have official numbers from the accountant, I'll post them here.
    Brian Shea

Administrator
    Thanks for explaining this, Brian. It's upsetting, but after reading some more articles about them, its good to know that there are efforts underway to shut them down .

As for advertising, there are somewhat subtle ways to keep the name of the site out there-- I have been "signing" all my emails with both my own wesite addr and that of this one:

Purchase, Donate, Pay a Tribute at
    http://www.fallenbrothers.com

I encourage everyone to do this.

And, I have the site name on my rear back window. I wonder if you would like to have decals made up. Surely some one of us knows a printer who might donate them. This is what I have been using.

WOW!

Chris,

Very nice job. I want one. What are the chances of getting decals, Brian???

Jean

Addition:

Obviously, this was poorly worded on my part (above). The question to Brian was intended to be.... Is this something that Fallen Brothers would like seen done? Copyright issues? Restrictions - such as printer used?

Administrator
    Just to be clear, I did not intend for you, Brian to get them done, but if they are produced in quantity, the design should be what you want.

When I created this months ago, I never intended to create another logo, but just wanted an immediately recognized symbol, and high-contrast sinplicity. Don't want any other driver driving into me trying too hard to read!!

So Brian, you call it, "WE" will try to deliver!

That's pretty cool. Thanks.

Can you somehow fit our little helmet logo thingy in there somewhere?

I like the idea of decals also. I had been trying to think of the logistics of distributing them.

I had originally wanted to make up the stickers here:
    http://fallenbrothers.com/community/...?s=&threadid=6

I'll work with you to put something together. Though, anyone who has 'worked' with me on these projects quickly learns that I sometimes fall off the face of the earth for a bit. So, we can't expect miracles from me. :P
    Brian Shea

As for the link to the website, I agree. I just haven't had time to go to too many other boards.

But you're right. Just putting it in the signature makes it easy. Every post automatically gets it, so you don't even have to think about it.

And, it doesn't look like you are pushing advertising or anything in sites that might not be related.

If everyone who was on other online boards could add a link to this site in their signature, that would be great.

Also, if you are going to other Fire related, or Memorial related site, it can't hurt to let them know of our site. The site has two purposes.... one is to help raise money, but the other, almost as important, is the healing that is done from the giving in this community. Thank you again to all how contribute to the site.
    Brian Shea

logo discussion to other forum?

Let's move any discussion about the stickers and marketing to the General Discussion area.

That way, this post can stay on topic about the bad charities.
    Brian Shea