Thread: ideas for marketing?

ideas for marketing?

If anyone has any ideas or tips for others on how to help market, maybe we can post some tips here.

Tips like creating a 'signature' that mentions the website when you are on other sites, etc.
    Brian Shea
    Co-Director of Fallen Brothers Foundation
    (foundation charity dissolved 2006)

Brian,

Going along with the "sticker" discussion for the website. Here's something I threw together quick. Not sure if it's something along the lines of what you had in mind or not.

If there's anything I can do let me know!

Margie

http://sarracco.com/images/FBlogo.jpg

Administrator
    Great idea incorporating the helmet. Brian wants to do that also. I think we will keep the maltese cross because it is such an important symbol. I will work it up and we'll all take a look at it.

Administrator
    One thing I have found about requesting a link to us from other fire-related- and memorial sites, is that it is important to go back and check that it was done.

Many of these sites are maintained by people like us who have busy work lives and other responsibilities . Sometimes good intentions fall through the cracks.

So, keep a note of requests you have made and keep the number of sites manageable so you can get back there to check.

margie,
    thanks.

I like that saying "Brothers helping Brothers"

Kinda catchy. I'll put that on my list of possible phrases.

====
    About asking other sites for the links, Chris is right. A lot of webmasters have so much other stuff going on, that sometimes the requests fall through the cracks. Happens to me all the time, so much so that I respond back that it might take months for me to get to it. :O

That's also why I made this site self-serve. If someone has a site that is related to the cause, they can add their link themselves.

Some places that are good to add the links are in links area on other fire bulletin boards, like Firehouse.com. We've done that a couple of times.

But, just going to bulletin boards and throwing up a link in a post, when it has nothing to do with the bulletin board or conversations shouldn't be done. that can be viewed as spam. Imagine if someone came to this board and put a link to a "cowboy hats" site. And they didn't participate in the community or anything. That's the equivalent of a telemarketer calling you up at home during dinner. Rude and inappropriate.

It's best to get involved and share through conversation. And, of course, having it in your signature always helps.
    Brian Shea

Glad you liked it! If there's anything else I can do to help, let me know.

Chris, like your idea of keeping the maltese cross as well. THat was something I put together in about 2 minutes while I was at work. Figured it would at least get the "brainstorming" ball rolling!

Margie

yup

Yes I have an Idea too
    But I gonna discuss that next sunday
    Then I have the time to figure that out ( 8 hours long)

Patrieie

Thumbs up�������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

Hey Brian! I'd love to help think up some ideas. You mean to market this site, I presume? And where do you hope to market it - just on the internet or through other media as well?

I must say too, that "Report from Ground Zero" has brought in a few people - that's how I found out about this site, and looking through the posts I'm certainly not the only one. Wasn't Dennis Smith a legend for putting the web address in there? Did you know he was going to do that or was it a surprise?

We had spoken to Dennis back in Sept/Oct when he was putting things together.

We didn't ask for the mention, but it was a natural thing to mention since it is what Kevin was focused on. And, Dennis did the right thing.

as for the marketing ideas... well, we've got quite a few, some not even Internet related. But, for now, our time is stretched too thin to dedicate to anything big. So, any 'word of mouth' or 'word of email' help from everyone would help.

Of course, when I say 'word of email', I don't mean spam. Even when it's a good cause, spam is still spam. But if people could just email their friends to let them know of the site. They might appreciate it.

And of course, if a family of a Brother doesn't know about the site, and is online, be sure to let them know.
    Brian Shea

Thumbs up������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� Signature in email

Everybody can make a signature in thier email.
    So make your singnature: fallenbrothers.com

And when you have a website you can always link to fallenbrothers.
    Also everybody can make this community thier community on your own website.

WHERE FAMILY IS #1 FALLEN BROTHER'S FOUNDATION

I PREFER
    FALLEN BROTHERS FOUNDATION
    WHERE FAMILY IS #1
    BRING BACK THE OLD BUMPER STICKERS....
    START AT THE FOUNDATION LEVEL.
    FIRE STATIONS ACROSS THE WORLD.
    "PASS THE WORD" WAS THE SAYING YEARS AGO
    LET THE FAMILIES KNOW WERE HERE FOR THEM.
    ROME WASNT BUILT IN A DAY
    SCREEN SAVERS WITH PHOTOS OR DESIGN
    WE NEED MORE HELPERS TO SPREAD THE WORK LOAD
    VOLUNTEER VOLUNTEER VOLUNTEER
    COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE
    EMAIL AT LEAST 50 FRIENDS ABOUT OUR SITE
    AND HAVE THEM DO THE SAME
    IT'S THE OLD ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER.
    BUT WE ARE FAMILY, WORKING TO MAKE OUR FAMILY GROW.
    THANK'S BROTHERS AND SISTER'S
    NEIL

Administrator
    So, we've got
    [list=1][*]Email signatures[*]Requests for the our link to appear on other sites[*]Decals / Bumper Stickers[*]Screen Savers[*]Desktop Wallpaper[*]Caps/T-Shirts?[/list=1]

... and, of course any opportunity to get a Media mention would help alot.

The analyst in me was curious about our growth to date, so I decided to chart it. What a major jump in membership there was after Dennis Smith's mention...

That is a nice jump. At the same time of Dennis' book, I had also had the old mailing list convert to the Forum if they wanted any more updates. Though I think a big part of that jump WAS from the book.

I think we are mentioned in the new book about Engine 40 also. I haven't had time to read any of these. I haven't even had time to visit our own site lately.

As for the bumper stickers, and decals, I've had that in my mind for a while. Most of these things just require time and dedication.

Like Neil says.... volunteer, volunteer volunteer, and communicate.

And, another thing about what Neil said, or actually HOW he said it is important. He used the terms 'we' and 'our'. And this is exactly what it is.... WE. This site is about everyone. It belongs to everyone. and, the more, the better.

The more the better. ha. That sounds so grammatically wrong, it's funny. Maybe I should say Da Mo' Da Bedda
    Brian Shea

[list=1][*]Email signatures
    anyone can do this....
    [*]Requests for our link to appear on other sites
    if you have a site, or visit a site regularly, just email the webmaster and ask them for a link. We can always put a recipricol link in the forum if it's 'related'
    [*]Decals / Bumper Stickers
    I like this a lot. I can have these made up and give them out to anyone who would like to distribute. I'll work on this a little more. Design ideas accepted.
    [*]Screen Savers
    Can anyone do this? What would be nice to keep things positive and uplifting. We don't need to see smoking towers. Perhaps focus on the triumph.
    [*]Desktop Wallpaper
    Same as the screen savers. Another thing is, it doesn't need to focus on the 'big' event. There are plenty of Fire Related images we can use. House Fires, exciting rescues, etc. Or scenes of Award Ceremonies, patches.
    [*]Caps/T-Shirts?
    I'll be looking to make a trial batch of hats to see if they would move.
    One question... does anyone know a major department store head honcho? Someone from Sears, Macy's, JC Penney? If so, please have them contact me.... I've got an idea.

[/list=1]

now.... if I can just find the time
    Brian Shea

Store

Ha Brian!!

I know some people who have a store.
    Store name is: On The Job.
    They making FF T shirts, hats and a lot more.
    Its in Wesley Hills.
    I try to make contact with the owner ( maybe you know him its a short man named: Tony)
    I already searched in my adresses but I cant find his emailadres
    I keep trying and you will hear.