Thread: Officials Unveil Plans for Rebuilding Trade Center Site

Administrator

Rebuilding Trade Center Site (articles)

Officials Unveil Plans for Rebuilding Trade Center Site
    By EDWARD WYATT and CHARLES V. BAGLI

he Port Authority of New York and New Jersey unveiled six preliminary plans today for redeveloping the World Trade Center site, all of which include a memorial park as the centerpiece to commemorate the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Some designs include the footprints of the twin towers in the memorial. Others call for at least one soaring tower that evokes the oversize presence of the trade center in the Lower Manhattan skyline.

"I want to emphasize the plans you see today are not intended to represent the design and the details of memorials or other buildings," said the Port Authority chairman, Joseph J. Seymour. "They show where the various components of the redevelopment plan interrelate and how much space they may occupy. Once the land-use plans are approved, we can move to construction with architectural design criteria that provides unified, dignified and creative designs for the site's components."

The designs

Administrator
    Officials Rethink Building Proposal for Ground Zero
    By EDWARD WYATT

fficials charged with rebuilding Lower Manhattan in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center said yesterday that they would consider new options for the site, including scaling back the amount of commercial space and extending the timeline for completing a final plan.

The changes, the officials said, were in response to a broad array of criticism of the six initial designs for rebuilding the trade center site, including unfavorable appraisals at a town hall meeting in Manhattan yesterday.

The president of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, Louis R. Tomson, said in an interview during the meeting at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center that the timeline to narrow the current six designs to three by the end of September would need to be extended by one to three months to allow officials to take into account the comments heard over the last week.

The executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, Joseph J. Seymour, said that agency would re-examine its requirement that plans under development provide for the replacement of all the 11 million square feet of office space on the site before the attacks.

The comments by the two officials followed intense criticism of the six plans, which were released Tuesday, by architects, urban planners, politicians and, yesterday, a diverse group of citizens from the metropolitan region.

More than 4,000 people attended the "Listening to the City" town hall meeting, and their appraisals, combined with repeated vows by officials overseeing the rebuilding to take into account the views of the group, appeared to leave the people in charge of the effort with few options but to consider new alternatives.

For example, in each of the six site designs, the setting for a memorial to the attack victims was rated "poor" by a majority or a plurality of those who attended. The participants

Administrator
    VOICES

Proposals for Downtown Draw Array of Opinions
    By THE NEW YORK TIMES

ore than 4,000 people concerned about the future of the World Trade Center site attended "Listening to the City" at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, where there were, said Renee Nalitt, a participant, "as many opinions as there were people."

Jeff Galloway
    Lives near trade center with family.
    "I like bits of all the designs, but what is missing is active recreation space, places for kids to play ball. I believe a memorial is appropriate, but I don't want to live in a cemetery, where you have no choice but to cry. I want something triumphant, showing how we took a direct hit and survived, that they didn't beat us. The people that I knew who died, they wouldn't want us to mope."

Steve Krakower
    Firefighter at Ladder Company 15 in Lower Manhattan.
    "It should be built back as the eighth wonder of the world. . . . A memorial needs to be put in place. But we need to rebuild. Firemen are not quitters. I think to honor the fallen, and not cave in to terrorism, we need to rebuild."

Brian Arcuri
    Customer service representative for Newsday.
    "I don't think they should build on the footprints. That's where people lost their lives. It's sacred ground, like Gettysburg or Pearl Harbor."

John Farioli
    Protested development of the trade center in the 1970's.
    "I'd like to see the street grid restored and the traffic flow put back. . . . Governor's Island is a wonderful off-site location for the memorial. The site should be mostly office buildings, but also residential. It should be a 24-hour community, which the World Trade Center never was. It was a ghost town after 6 o'clock."

Renee Nalitt
    Battery Park City resident.
    "When I close my eyes, I can still walk through the trade center. . . . I want to see less memorial and more building for the future. An overbearing memorial will rip open those wounds again. We should have business, culture, retail, the things that made our city great on Sept. 10 and will make it great again."

Louis Epstein
    Internet provider.
    "We should retain the spirit of aspiring to the skies and not retreat. The new building should be at least as tall as the twin towers, and none of these plans even come close. I think anything less would be an insult to those that died."

Liam Strain
    United States park ranger on Staten Island.
    "Silverstein should be bought out and the land taken from the Port Authority and given to another public corporation. This Port Authority's stepping off point is the need to match the money-making capacity of the former World Trade Center, and I don't think that's where we should start from. We should be concerned with a memorial first, and cultural and open space for the downtown residents."

Jeffrey Quaid
    Worked near trade center.
    "I want the United Nations to be moved to the World Trade Center site, as a commitment to peace. Where the U.N. is now, I'd like a developer like Trump to build a large office tower to replace the twin towers."

Joy Tolliver
    Psychology student at Fordham.
    "What can be done is really limited. I mean, when you think about it, the lease is for 99 years. There isn't much we can do about it."

Marina Arevalo
    Son died at trade center.
    "I don't like the plans because of the buildings

Fresh Visions of Ground Zero Could Delay Lower Manhattan's Recovery

Fresh Visions of Ground Zero Could Delay Lower Manhattan's Recovery

By EDWARD WYATT

Officials charged with overseeing the rebuilding of Lower Manhattan said this weekend that the public's call for a slower planning process and less commercial space on the World Trade Center site could delay plans for an expanded transportation center connecting the subway and commuter rail lines downtown.

That, combined with other recommendations about the rebuilding process that came out of a town hall meeting on Saturday, leaves the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and Gov. George E. Pataki with some tough decisions in the weeks and months ahead.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of construction and other jobs would be affected by significant delays in the rebuilding process, and the more time that passes before commercial construction begins on the site, the greater the effect on the Lower Manhattan economy, particularly on foot traffic for businesses there.

The call from among the more than 4,000 people who attended the "Listening to the City" meeting on Saturday for cuts in the number and size of office buildings on the site