Thread: Adopt A Firehouse Quilt Project

Administrator

Adopt A Firehouse Quilt Project

Here is a letter from Colleen Rowell..

To All My Quilting Friends,

I know all of us are grieving and in shock ever since the attack of Sept. 11th. I lost someone very close to me and my family that day.

They are all true heroes.

Maybe you too have lost someone you know and love. Well there is something we, as quilter's, can do. Something personal and lasting. My quilting teacher and great friend, AnnaMarie Tucker had a great idea. She wants to set up something she calls "Adopt A Firehouse." This is how it would work. It is starting with us and with one firehouse at a time.

Our group is adopting Rescue 3, Tommy Foley's firehouse. We want to make lap size quilts for each firefighter that was lost (8), and for each firefighter that survived (21). Because, as AnnaMarie says, the survivors are suffering too. One of the firefighters from Rescue 3 left behind four children under the age of six. So we would like to add four baby quilts as part of our gift. Our goal is to have this done by the end of April, and the quilts will be delivered in person to the firefighters. The Foley's will be hosting a get together in the summer for all the surviving firefighters of Rescue 3, and we are invited to present the finished quilts to them at that time.

If any of you would like to start your own group, adopting your own firehouse, email or call me and I'll give you another firehouse. My nephew is a Deputy Chief for the FDNY, and he is compiling a list for me of all the firehouses that lost men.

Another thing that can be done is to spread the word. Contact your local guilds, quilt shops, and other quilting friends. And then ask them to spread the word to all their friends and guilds. Ask a quilt shop to put it on their web site. I've already asked Quilter's Attic in Pine Bush to put it on their web page, and they said, absolutely. I am going to have a flyer made and I can mail them to anyone who wants to leave them at quilt shops, guilds, etc.

I know you'll feel great participating in this worthwhile cause.

Thanks,
    Let's Roll

Colleen Rowell
    25 Lorraine Road
    Island Park, NY 11558
    1-516-432-2951
    quiltcar@aol.com

Administrator
    Quilters are busy!

There are several quilting projects going on. Word has sure gotten around about this one. Colleen doing a great job rallying people and keeping us all informed. Thanks Colleen!

If you have quilted for any of our families, please take a pic before you send it out. Post it at the brother's forum or email it to me (you can do so from my profile on this site). Contact me if you have a printed photo you would like to get posted.

I have only recently gotten acquainted with quilting., and, as an artist, begun to appreciate quilts as an expression of art. But it is the amount of work and thought and love that has gone into these quilts that takes my breath away. You are giving such a wonderful gift!

Administrator

Adopt-a-Firehouse Quilt index updated 5/20/04

[B]View quilts made for the
    Last edited by Chris; 08-18-2005 at 09:28 PM.