Thread: Training Academy GRADUATION A Shared Pride

Training Academy GRADUATION A Shared Pride

A Shared Pride;
    4 'probies' go on for family killed Sept. 11

Copyright 2002 Newsday, Inc.
    Newsday (New York, NY)...07/20/2002

By Lola Alapo. STAFF WRITER

Four of the "probies" who graduated from the Fire Department Training Academy in an exuberant ceremony Friday are carrying an emotional mandate: continuing the legacy of their relatives on the force who died Sept. 11.

"It's like I'm accepting two diplomas today," said Firefighter Joseph Cammarata, 25, who was wearing a picture of his brother under his nameplate.

Cammarata's brother, Michael, 22, who was a probationary firefighter only nine months into the academy, died in the department's mammoth rescue effort after the attacks on the World Trade Center.

Joseph Cammarata, Joseph Pansini, Timothy Riches and Brian Stack were among 292 graduates in Friday's ceremony at Brooklyn College. Pansini, 29, lost his brother Paul; Riches, 29, lost his brother Jimmy, who died at the trade center on the day before his 30th birthday; and Stack, 30, is the son of the late Battalion Chief Lawrence Stack, 58.

"I would give anything in the world to have my brother here," Timothy Riches said. "But I know that my brother is looking out for me my whole life."

The first graduating class of 2002 also boasted one female cadet, Francesca Smith, 31.

"This feels good," Smith said, grinning. "I'm shocked at how supportive people have been." Smith was a New York City police officer for five years. She wanted to help the Fire Department in some way after the September attacks and joined the academy. "I got positive reinforcements from all the guys," she said.

On hand to help commemorate the event were Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta. Friday's ceremony marked the second class of firefighters to graduate since Sept. 11.

"Our Fire Department has suffered tremendous loss but we are committed to rebuilding our ranks both in body and spirit," Bloomberg said.

HEROES' KIN ARE NEWEST BRAVEST

HEROES' KIN ARE NEWEST BRAVEST

Associated Press

July 20, 2002 -- Nearly 300 probationary firefighters graduated from training yesterday, including four who lost firefighter relatives in last year's terror attack on the World Trade Center.

The class is the second to be sworn in after completing the city Fire Department's intensive 25-week course since 343 firefighters died in the trade center on Sept. 11.

During an address to the 292 graduates yesterday, Mayor Bloomberg praised them for taking a job rife with daunting risks.

"I congratulate today's 292 graduates, who have accepted an enormously challenging and demanding career as a New York City firefighter," Bloomberg said. "Our Fire Department has suffered tremendous loss, but we are committed to rebuilding its ranks both in body and in spirit. These new recruits represent the courage and sense of purpose that define New York's Bravest."

The four graduates who lost relatives are Brian Stack, 30, the son of Battalion Chief Lawrence Stack; Joseph Cammarata, 25, the brother of firefighter Michael Cammarata; Joseph Pansini, 29, the brother of firefighter Paul Pansini; and Timothy Riches, 29, the brother of firefighter Jimmy Riches.

Stack also has a brother who is a firefighter and an uncle who is a retired firefighter.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202002...news/19390.htm