SAD END TO FAIRY TALE

By ERIC LENKOWITZ

July 19, 2002 -- IT WAS a fairy-tale romance cut short by tragedy.
Firefighter Michael Kiefer and his sweetheart Jamie Huggler were supposed to be married this summer at St. Catherine of Sienna - the church where he grew up - in front of hundreds of family members and friends. Kiefer asked his father, Henry "Bud" Kiefer, to be the best man.

"We shared a special bond," the elder Kiefer said. "He was my best friend." Yesterday, the players were all in place, but for Kiefer's funeral instead of his wedding - 10 months after he died in the collapse of the Twin Towers, where he responded with Ladder 132 of The Bronx. "Fairy tales never end this way," said Huggler, fighting back tears. "I'm still here, but a large part of me died on Sept. 11."

The only glimpse the thousands of mourners caught of the devoted couple came from a 38-page picture tribute his family made in his memory and handed out at the funeral. The book shows Kiefer, 25, doing the things he loved - fighting fires, working as a lifeguard on Long Beach, scuba diving, spending time with Huggler and his family and competing in the FDNY Triathlon in Rockaway. Among the dozens of letters and notes displayed in the book - between Kiefer, his family and Huggler - is a card he sent his fianc