A Maryland firefighter died on Tuesday, August 21 after suffering an apparent heart attack at his fire station.

Stephen A. Petrusik was 54 and had been a member of the Lansdowne Volunteer Firemen's Association #1 for 11 years, said Bernie Smith, vice chairman of the board of directors.

Petrusik pulled up the fire station at about 1 p.m. Tuesday for routine duties, as usual, but this time he never made it out of his truck.

Another firefighter walked out of the station and saw Petrusik laying over in his seat. He hoped his friend was just clowning around, but ran back inside to get a paramedic.

"The paramedic told me he reached in cautiously, expecting Steve to pop up," Smith said. But unfortunately that never happened.

The paramedic pulled Petrusik out of the truck and began treatment, and the firefighter was transported to St. Agnes Hospital.

"When the paramedic said to me, 'You're going to the hospital,' I knew it wasn't good," Smith said.

Petrusik was pronounced dead a short time later. The viewing took place Thursday and the funeral on Friday.

He is survived by his wife and adult son and daughter. His daughter-in-law is a career firefighter, Smith said.

Petrusik was employed by the Baltimore Gas and Electric Company, and had just passed a physical about a month ago, Smith said. In addition to working around the fire station and at fire department functions, Petrusik was interested in fishing.

It was the first line of duty death for the 99-year-old fire department. They have 55 active members and serve a population of 3500.