Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Maryland Firefighter Recruit Suffers Cardiac Arrest

  1. #1
    Registered User SeaBreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002

    Maryland Firefighter Recruit Suffers Cardiac Arrest

    Maryland Firefighter Recruit Suffers Cardiac Arrest News

    A firefighter recruit with the Frederick County, Maryland Department of Fire/Rescue Services died during physical training on the third day of his recruit school Wednesday, July 3.

    Andrew James Waybright, 24 of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania experienced dizziness during the morning session and became unconscious near the end of the exercise session at the training facility in the city of Frederick, according to an Emergency Services Division news release.

    The session began at 7 a.m. with 12 other recruits and Waybright had completed a jog, undertaken calisthenics and was on a return jog to the training facility. He collapsed and experienced cardiac arrest. Instructors immediately administered CPR and called 9-1-1. An ambulance and medic unit responded and transported Waybright to Frederick Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 9:21 a.m.

    The 20-week recruit school includes physical training every morning. Waybright was hired on May 4 as on on-call firefighter before he began full-time employment on July 1. He had completed his Candidate Physical Ability Test and medical exam including stress test. He was previously with the Taneytown VFD.

    An autopsy will be conducted. Frederick County has requested other local Fire Rescue Service Departments assist with a board of inquiry. The County Sheriff

  2. #2
    Registered User SeaBreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002

    Probe of death from heat begins

    Probe of death from heat begins;
    Volunteer firefighter training to work full time in Frederick County;
    Carroll County

    Copyright 2002 The Baltimore Sun Company
    All Rights Reserved
    The Baltimore Sun...07/11/2002

    Sheridan Lyons

    An investigation into the heat-related death of a volunteer firefighter from Carroll County who collapsed while training to become a full-time Frederick County firefighter began yesterday behind closed doors.

    A board of inquiry made up of fire officials from three counties held its first meeting yesterday at the Frederick County fire operations center to examine the circumstances surrounding the death of Andrew James Waybright, who died last week in his third day of training. The board developed a plan for its investigation and began gathering information, said its chairman, Deputy Chief Walter F. Murray, director of Frederick County Fire/EMS Operations.

    Murray refused to provide other details of the closed meeting or speculate how long the inquiry might take, but he said a board "mission statement" would be released today.

    "We want to do a thorough job and not to rush through anything," he said after yesterday's session. Murray would not say where or when the panel would next meet.

    Black bunting draped the sign outside the county's Department of Fire and Rescue building near the operations center.

    Waybright, 23, lived in Gettysburg and had worked as a paid emergency medical technician for Taneytown Volunteer Fire Department and as a volunteer for the fire company in Harney. He was hired May 4 by Frederick County as an on-call firefighter, before beginning as a full-time employee July 1, which also marked the beginning of a 20-week recruit school that included physical training every morning, Frederick County authorities said.

    Waybright began work at 7 a.m. July 3, with physical training with 12 other recruits, Frederick officials said. He had completed a jog and calisthenics and was on a return jog to the county's public safety training facility when he collapsed and went into cardiac arrest.

    Waybright was pronounced dead at 9:21 a.m. at Frederick Memorial Hospital. The state medical examiner's office determined that heat exposure was the cause of his death. The temperature was 84 degrees and the heat index was 96 degrees when Waybright collapsed, according to Frederick County authorities.

    Keith Waybright, a cousin of Andrew Waybright and a member of the Harney volunteer fire company, said yesterday, "Frederick County Fire and Rescue instructors acted irresponsibly and without common sense. We're not laying responsibility on anyone at this time, but waiting for the board to release its findings.

    "We're angry," he added. "And we hope that this tragedy won't happen again."

    In addition to Murray, the panel includes the acting assistant chief of the Montgomery County Department of Fire and Rescue Services; a representative of the Career Fire Fighter Association of Frederick County, Local 3666 of the International Association Firefighters; the president of Middletown Volunteer Fire Company in Frederick County; an officer of the Office of Emergency and Disaster Management of the Frederick County Emergency Services Division; a battalion chief in the training division of the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services; and the director of field operations for the Maryland Fire Rescue Institute.

    Sun staff writer Ellie Baublitz contributed to this article.

  3. #3
    Registered User SeaBreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Waybright, Andrew James

    Age: 23
    Rank: Firefighter Recruit
    Status: Career
    Incident Date: 07/03/2002
    Incident Time: 08:00
    Death Date: 07/03/2002

    Cause of Death: Stress/Exertion
    Nature of Death:
    Emergency Duty: No
    Duty Type: Training
    Activity Type: Fitness Activity
    Fixed Prop. Use: Outdoor Property

    Fire Dept. Info:
    Frederick County Department of Fire and Rescue Ser
    340 Montevue Lane
    Frederick, Maryland 21702
    Chief: DPS Stanley Poole

    Initial Summary:
    Firefighter recruit Waybright, also a volunteer EMS Captain with the Harney Volunteer Fire Company, was with 12 other firefighter recruits on their 3rd day of training and had completed a jog, performed calisthenics, and was on a return jog to the training facility when he collapsed and soon thereafter died. The state medical examiner's office determined that the cause of death was heat exposure. Memorial Fund: Memorials may be made to the Harney Volunteer Fire Company, 5130 Harney Road, Harney, MD 21787, or Mount Joy Lutheran Church.

  4. #4
    Registered User SeaBreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002

    Distress Signals Were Not Heeded in MD Recruit's Death

    Distress Signals Were Not Heeded in MD Recruit's Death

    The Frederick News Post

    Andrew Waybright was not the only member of his firefighter recruit class affected by the heat during an intense physical training exercise in July, and the paramedic who led the run failed to recognize anyone was in trouble, according to a report by state investigators.

    Mr. Waybright, 23, of Gettysburg, Pa., collapsed and died July 3 near the conclusion of an exercise session on the third day of recruit training.

    Paramedic Jeff Coombe yelled at Mr. Waybright to "pick up his feet" and to address Mr. Coombe in a proper manner during calisthenics in the park, fellow recruits told investigators from Maryland Occupation, Safety and Health (MOSH).

    Mr. Coombe, who is not a physical fitness trainer, was chosen by former Public Safety Director Stan Poole to lead the recruit exercise classes because he holds a degree in biology, according to the MOSH report.

    MOSH recently cited Frederick County with two "serious" violations for forcing the recruits to exercise during that July day.

    The recruits told MOSH investigators they believed the July 3 session was a "gut check" to see who really wanted to be a firefighter.

    Although all had passed the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT), the manuals for the test were taken away, according to the report. Recruits said they were not told or encouraged to continue the exercises.

    Seven days after Mr. Waybright's death, and the day before the MOSH interviews were to begin, each recruit was given a CPAT manual, according to the investigators' report.

    Requiring the recruits to dress in dark blue shirts and shorts circumvented the academy's own health and fitness presentation, which states, "wear light-colored clothing to reflect light," according to the report.

    Fellow recruit Andre Bailey, a former drill instructor and paratrooper in the U.S. Army, said he thought the exercise on the second day of training was "too harsh for people who were not conditioned and acclimated to the environment."

    He said he was never permitted to require new Army recruits to run three miles or more until at least the fifth week of conditioning, according to the investigators' report.

    The MOSH report said, "The employees were required to run and exercise beyond what they were used to, resulting in heat exhaustion and death."

    Mr. Coombe said he didn't see any of the recruits having heat-related problems, but MOSH investigators said one man described himself as "out of breath and (feeling) dizzy," while another said he was having "dry heaves" and became dizzy.

    One recruit was so disoriented after the calisthenics, he said he thought they ran through the park twice, and another said he was about to pass out, the report said.

    "Instructor Coombe did not recognize the effects from heat illnesses mentioned in his own health and fitness program," the MOSH official wrote.

    As the run was winding down, six to seven recruits, including Mr. Waybright, were lagging behind the formation after showing signs of heat exhaustion.

    The state investigators further wrote, "The victim (Mr. Waybright) was helped off onto the grass on the shoulder of the road by the two instructors. He wanted to continue and was helped to his feet, but collapsed again.''

    A short time later, he lost consciousness and went into cardiac arrest. His skin was cold and clammy, a symptom of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

    Mr. Waybright's temperature was 107.6 degrees when he reached Frederick Memorial Hospital. The State Medical Examiner's report listed the cause of death as hyperthermia.

    The MOSH investigators concluded: "The instructors failed to recognize the obvious signs of distress shown by the employees, which led to the collapse and death of Mr. Waybright."

    Water was withheld from the recruits, who were not given a break during the exercise that included a half-mile walk, 3.7-mile run, 15 to 20 minutes of calisthenics and two sets of uphill wind sprints, each covering about 300 feet.

    The National Weather Service had issued a "code red" warning, implying all outdoor activity should be limited. Fort Detrick had cancelled its formation that morning due to the heat.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004


    I am the brother of the reqruit that was killed in this article in FC maryland. I want to say that he did not suffer a cardiac Arrest but he suffered a Heat Stroke due to the intence heat and the humidity. at the time of death he had a 107.5 degree tempurture. Please become aware of the corrections to this article thank you.

  6. #6
    Registered User SeaBreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Thank you for the correction.

    My deepest sympathy for your loss.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts