Thread: A Great Big THANK YOU!

Thumbs up������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� A Great Big THANK YOU!

I just finished reading "Report From Ground Zero" by Dennis Smith. All my life I have admired firefighters, but never as much as now. I just wanted to say to you, Kevin, that you have been very blessed--But you know that I think your www is great--Thank you! AND to you & all the guys around the country I think I speak for everyone when I say a great big THANK YOU!!

I was just wondering if you planned to offer a T-shirt commemorating ff in general?
    Gwen

actually, we are planning a general 'Fallen Brothers' shirt, with our little 'logo' on it, among other things.

It's just tough to find the time to get around to everything we would like to do.

Do you have a specific idea for this 'general ff' shirt? We take in all suggestions.
    Brian Shea
    Co-Director of Fallen Brothers Foundation
    (foundation charity dissolved 2006)

webweaver
    I won't be much help there--but I do love the sitting ff with his head bent image. It gets me every time.

Thumbs up�������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

That's a great idea of webweaver's, to use that image (it's the one called "a minute's silence" isn't it?) Unless there's copyright issues, I couldn't think of a more perfect one. It just says it all, doesn't it?

Administrator
    I like this idea also, an agree with both of you that it evokes both the emotional and intellectual message of FallenBrothers.

I like that idea! The other image that I think really hits home is that of the fire fighter with the single angle by his side. To me that just sums everything up. The fire fighter, then the angle by his side watching over them all. As the wife of a fire fighter that image gives me comfort; my husband has also told me the image "reinforces" (can't think of the word I really want) the way he feels as a fire fighter.

Just another thought.

Margie

Smile�����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

I like the angel idea too. I've seen them with the moment of silence & the angel standing over them. Have you all seen the ice sculpture someone in Canada did of what I'm talking about? It's fantastic. It was done back in the winter (obviously

Does anyone know how to change my User name? Everyone seems to be using their own names, & I'd like to use mine.

Thanx

FIREFIGHTER NEUTRAL GENDER

TODAY THE FIRE DEPARTMENT TAKES ON A NEW ROLE AND GENDER DOES NOT RELATE TO THE PAST. I MYSELF WOULD LIKE
    TO SEE A CHANGE IN IDENTIFICATION.SUCH AS ,
    FALLEN FIREFIGHTER'S FOUNDATION.... AS THEY SAY ,YOU MUST ROLL ON WITH THE TIMES. BROTHERS AND SISTERS UNITED.
    BUT AS FIREFIGHTERS-----WE ARE ONE. GOD BLESS...THE FOLLOWING PHOTO IS UNKNOWN ART I FOUND ON EBAY.

The Gender thing

I understand this issue, and I've discussed it with others before.

The use of 'Brothers' is to denote the Brotherhood of firefighters. Note firefighters, not firemen. Brotherhood can be viewed the same way as mankind. It is not gender specific unless you make it that way.

What word donotes a group of people, with close bonds, with a family-like feel?

The definition of Brotherhood
    (from http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=brotherhood )
    • 1. The state of being brothers or a brother.
    • 2. An association for any purpose, as a society of monks; a fraternity.
    • 3. The whole body of persons engaged in the same business, -- especially those of the same profession; as, the legal or medical brotherhood.
    • 4. Persons, and, poetically, things, of a like kind.

I like #4, "Persons poetically of like kind"

So, seeing 'brother' based on gender is the most narrow view of the word.

Fallen 'Brothers' is not about men, it's about family.
    Brian Shea

I appreciate your opinions, Neil, but I have to agree with Brian. I'm as feminist as the next woman, but hearing the family of firefighters referred to as a brotherhood doesn't offend me, or make me feel that women are automatically excluded. Rather, to me, it emphasises the bond that all firefighters - men and women - share through their dedication to their calling, a dedication which means that many of them have sacrificed their lives to save others. Which is why this site exists, to pay tribute to this "brotherhood". Bringing the gender issue into it will only detract from its meaning and its purpose, and to do that over one little word which could only offend the most rigid feminist just doesn't seem worth it.

Emily I couldn't have said it better myself.

Even though it's my husband who is in the fire department, I do a fair amount for them as it is. I go on scene to take pictures for them and help at every major fundraising function they have. One of the greatest rewards/honors, whatever term you'd like to use, is to know that my husband's fellow fire fighers not only consider him one of their Brothers, but consider me a Brother as well.

In my opinion the term Brotherhood is simply a term meaning family and how much all fire fighters rely on one another, reguardless of the gender of the individual.

and to defend Neil.....

He was only stating what I've been asked several times by others. And it is a valid point.

When the word Brotherhood is directly associated with Sisterhood, it IS exclusive.

But I believe that we should stop looking for the 'supposed exclusions' and instead focus on everyone's similarities, and what brings us all together one way or another.

again, nothing is directed at Neil, oh great one.
    Brian Shea

Brothers and Sisters

Fine,enough said: Lets get back to Work.
    One For All, and All For One
    You Musketeers---- More Volunteers Needed
    Dont just sign in, Sign On and help......
    Fallen Brothers Foundation

Neil

Artist unknown
    cant make out signature

Thumbs up�������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

Cheers Neil,

As I said, I really do appreciate your opinion and I thank you for your consideration in raising this issue - that doesn't happen too often Also - where do we sign in, and how can we help? Can I help from the other side of the world?? If I can assist in any way, please let me know, because I'd love to do it.