Thread: Farewell To Hero Dad He Never Knew

Farewell To Hero Dad He Never Knew

FAREWELL TO HERO DAD HE NEVER KNEW

By LISA PULITZER

August 4, 2002 -- Ten-month-old Patrick Mate Lyons sat on his mother's lap in the first row of a Long Island church yesterday to say goodbye to the father he never met.

His dad, Lt. Patrick John Lyons, of Squad 252 in Bushwick, Brooklyn, was killed rescuing others on Sept. 11. His only son, Patrick, was born a month after his death.

Friends, family members and fellow firefighters gathered at Maria Regina Church in Seaford, L.I., to remember the 34-year-old hero, the son of a retired fire lieutenant

His wife, Irene, said when she turned on the TV, she had an eerie sense her husband was going to be one of the victims.

"As I watched the Twin Towers collapse on TV, I knew at that moment that he was under those towers and I was going to lose him," she said.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/53970.htm

Bravest dad-to-be mourned

Bravest dad-to-be mourned

By LESLIE CASIMIR and FERNANDA SANTOS
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

For nine months, Irene Lyons clung to the hope her husband's remains would be found somewhere amid the mountains of twisted steel or tons of concrete and dirt at the sprawling World Trade Center site.

But when the piles of debris were reduced to nothing and heavy equipment fell silent to mark the end of rescue efforts at Ground Zero, she was forced to accept that Fire Lt. Patrick John Lyons was never coming home.

"I still can't believe the most beautiful part of my life, my marriage, is not forever," an emotional Lyons told the hundreds who packed a Seaford, L.I., church yesterday to honor her husband's memory.

Patrick Lyons, a Long Island Flag Football League quarterback, volunteered the day before the attacks to work overtime on Sept. 11. He spent what turned out to be his last night at home helping his wife decorate the room that, a month later, would welcome the couple's first child.

The 34-year-old Miami Dolphins fan, who dreamed of one day buying a house on a Long Island beach, was assigned to Squad 252 in Bushwick, Brooklyn. He also ran a limousine business on the side.

During yesterday's service at Maria Regina Catholic Church, relatives, friends and co-workers remembered Lyons for his loyalty and commitment to the four things he loved most in life: his work, football, his wife and the son he never met, Patrick Mate Lyons, born Oct.11.

"You need to know your dad's spirit is in you," Squad 252 Capt. Ed Metcalf wrote in a letter to baby Patrick. "Your dad was an all-pro dad."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...29p-7699c.html