Thread: Fire Chief Nigro Plans Retirement

Fire Chief Nigro Plans Retirement

Fire Chief Nigro Plans Retirement

Copyright 2002 Newsday, Inc.
    Newsday (New York, NY)...08/06/2002

By Sheila McKenna. STAFF WRITER

Chief Daniel Nigro, who led the Fire Department through its most devastating period after the Sept. 11 terrorist attack in which 342 members died, will resign as Chief of Department.

The decision and the timing - his resignation is planned for just two days before the one year observance of terror attack - came as a surprise in a department still reeling.

Reached late yesterday afternoon, Nigro sounded melancholy.

"I'm retiring, leaving, probably Sept. 9. Although that's not set in stone that's a likely date. I had a great career in the Fire Department and I wish everybody the best. It's never easy to leave. It would not have been easy if I had left this September or next September or 10 Septembers from now."

Nigro's decision came after the fire commissioner's office would not grant him tenure as chief of department. Tenure would have allowed him to retire with a chief of department's pension. He will now retire at the lower rank of chief of operations.

"I feel sad but I'm only sad because this has been a big part of my life," he said. "It's very hard to separate but I had a wonderful career. If someone told me in 1969 that I would spend 33 years here and become chief of department, I would have signed up all over again."

Nigro, 53, who has lived in Whitestone with his wife, Lynn, and two daughters for 30 years, worked in personnel, the medical division and emergency medical services.

On Sept. 17 he was sworn in as chief of department, the highest rank for a uniformed officer in the department. He succeeded his close friend Pete Ganci, who died in the World Trade Center collapse.

Nigro, who is unclear about his future plans, says retiring was a very tough decision to make. "It will hit me the day when I don't put on a uniform. I haven't done that since I was 21. That will be a strange feeling," he said.

http://webpublisher.lexisnexis.com/i...-Y2CY-00000-00

Fire chief to quit new-look FDNY

Fire chief to quit new-look FDNY

The fire chief praised for holding the department together after it lost 343 members at the World Trade Center disaster is retiring.
    Chief of Department Daniel Nigro, 53, was denied tenure in that top uniformed job and will step down next month rather than accept another position, sources said.

Nigro, who joined the FDNY in 1969, was appointed to the post after the death on Sept. 11 of his good friend, Chief of Department Peter Ganci. Nigro could not be reached for comment yesterday.

His departure comes amid widespread changes planned for the upper ranks of the FDNY expected to be announced tomorrow by Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta.

According to sources, Scoppetta will increase the number of uniformed staff chiefs. Two-star and three-star chiefs will be appointed from the existing pool of deputy chiefs, and will be assigned greater management roles, the sources said. Those promoted will then no longer be union members of the Uniformed Fire Officers Association.

The moves will reverse a trend of civilian management that took hold under Scoppetta's predecessors.

Alice McQuillan

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...54p-8240c.html

Administrator