Thread: NBC's Dateline Postpones 'Firehouse' Series Over Poor Ratings

NBC's Dateline Postpones 'Firehouse' Series Over Poor Ratings

NBC's Dateline Postpones 'Firehouse' Series Over Poor Ratings

LON SLEPICKA and DAVE J. IANNONE
    Firehouse.com News

Citing low ratings, NBC has postponed airing the final two episodes of its special five-part series called 'Firehouse.'

The move comes a week after the Network changed the air time of the third episode from 9 p.m. to 8 p.m. without much prior notice. Firehouse.com received dozens of inquries following the time change, but it wasn't until Thursday that it was learned that the series was on hold.

Three episodes, Rescue 4 in NYC, Camden (NJ) Fire Department and Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue have been shown the previous Friday nights. A show on the San Francisco Fire Department was scheduled for August 9 followed by NYC Ladder 5 next week.

A representative from NBC's marketing department said the ratings were not what the Network had hoped for, but thought that they would air at some undetermined time in the future. No further information was available.

In its place, Dateline will be airing a two-hour special entitled 'Til death do us part' abut the murder of a young mother in South Carolina in 1994, one that police called an almost perfect crime, led investigators into the seedy world of strip clubs and illegal drugs.

Television networks routinely experience lower ratings during the summer months as most shows are re-runs.

During its regular time slot for the second airing two weeks ago, 'Firehouse' ranked 47th out of some 120 shows that aired on Network television that week. But it dropped to 69th place in its unannounced 8 p.m. timeslot last Friday for the third episode, with about 5.3 million viewers. For the 8 p.m. time period, the show placed third amongst the three big Networks, both of which were airing repeats.

But in the 9 p.m. slot where the show was originally slated to air on August 2, Dateline's replacement program on terrorism ranked 51st and was the most watched show in the time slot, with 6.7 million viewers.

Dateline producers couldn't be immediately reached for this report.

To provide feedback for Dateline, they can be reached via e-mail at dateline@nbc.com or you can contact your local NBC affiliate.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/2002/8/8_FHdateline.html

Let's see....

I send out wedding invitations for Saturday, and then I suddenly change the date to Friday, but don't tell anyone.

hmmm, should I think no one cares because they didn't show up?
    Brian Shea
    Co-Director of Fallen Brothers Foundation
    (foundation charity dissolved 2006)

Brian,

I thought the same thing too when I posted that. Only I was thinking party, not wedding. I've been away every Friday night and I tried to tape that program and in 3 weeks, I was unsuccessful. First night it was at 10 pm - after the regular dateline. So, I changed the time to 10 for the 2nd show. Nope, it wasn't then. TV Guide only listed it as Dateline, Not Dateline-Firehouse. So I figured, it was at 9 pm for the 3rd episode and nope, it was at 8 pm. And NBC wonders why the ratings were low? No one could find the darn show!!

Jean

amay52

Firehouse Cancellation

Yeah - I was looking forward to some intelligent TV viewing this summer (that's an oxymoron). I'm glad I caught the first show; that was by sheer chance. The second one, too. The third one I missed because every venue I have that showed the time it was playing (Cable Guide, TV Guide, Computer) all showed 9 p.m. Pacific. How silly of me! It was on at 8. And after the first show, I mentioned the series to a lot of people who looked forward to seeing it. Oh well, it seems the same thing happened to Third Watch. I know it will be on A&E this fall, but is that just reruns or the entire show? If anyone knows, please post. Thanks, Dateline, I was hoping someone would show more shows about murder......then, there's always the latest, greatest "reality" show!