Thread: Towers live again in tribute

Towers live again in tribute

Towers live again in tribute

Photos by Sherrie Buzby/The Arizona Republic

This replica of the World Trade Center causes visitors to stop and reflect at the Mesa home of John Martinez, who has worked on the display since April.

Peter Ortiz
    The Arizona Republic
    Sept. 06, 2002 12:00:00

Sept. 11-related events

Streams of people admire the majestic towers that stand side by side in front of John Martinez's Mesa house.

At night the 9-foot balsa wood replica of the former World Trade Center glows from interior lighting that illuminates carved-out windows. Small buildings stare up at the scaled-down model of the 110-story twin towers, destroyed by terrorists who rammed two passenger planes into the landmarks last year. On Tuesday, the eve of Sept. 11, Martinez will remove the towers and replace them with two beams of light.

"They tell me they get chills," Martinez said of the strangers and friends who have stopped by since he erected his tribute model Sunday. "That is a symbol of what America is and who we are."

Martinez, 39, labored every day after work since April in the intense, mid-afternoon heat to complete his tribute. The project consumed the few free hours he had before the start of his usual 1 a.m. shift when he pours concrete for high rise buildings in Phoenix.

"I was sitting out here and thought, 'I could make the city of New York here,' " Martinez said.

Lorraine Ciavola arrived at Martinez's house Sunday morning with family and friends. The native New Yorker was surprised at how true the model was to the buildings.

"The details are incredible," Ciavola said.

Martinez spent a month researching the Internet, books and satellite photos to make his model as realistic as possible. He carefully studied the lighted offices of Phoenix's skyline during his overnight shift as a model for his own project.

"I wanted it to look like people were in there," he said.

On Tuesday, Martinez will replace the towers with two beams of light.

All the buildings sit on a table that elevates the towers to 13 feet. Martinez's original plan was to make a 3-foot model of the towers, but he said the smaller version wasn't a fitting tribute.

Martinez was inspired to create the model after seeing the puzzled reaction of his children on Sept. 11. Bria, 7, and Bailey, 12, said they were proud of their father's tribute, but Martinez received another surprise once he unveiled the model.

"I didn't think it would have the impact it has now for the general public," he said. "Now I'm glad it is a comfort to some people."

Reach the reporter at peter.ortiz@arizonarepublic.com or (602) 444-7726.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/a...bute06Z11.html

John Martinez 911 Tower Artist Phoenix

Remember 911

Phoenix Remembers 911

Visitors Peggy and David Glass, with granddaughter Madison Stayner, 6, and Heather Smith (right) pause to remember as they view John Martinez's miniature World Trade Center towers. On Tuesday, Martinez will replace the towers with two beams of light.