Gregory Sikorsky

The Sikorskys will be busy today, but not at Ground Zero.

The family of New York City firefighter Gregory Sikorsky, who was killed at the World Trade Center last year, plans a trip to the Bronx instead.

"We may go to Squad 41," said his brother Perry. "I called up and there isn't anything special going on at his old firehouse, but we just want to go for a visit. They've been wonderful to the family."

Greg Sikorsky's widow, Marie, and son, Steve, also plan to be at a 7 p.m. memorial Mass at St. Boniface Roman Catholic Church, Greg's parish in Wesley Hills.

The Mass will honor both Sikorsky, who was 34, and New York City police Sgt. John Coughlin, another parish member who was killed at the World Trade Center.

The Sikorskys held a memorial service in October and a funeral in June. Greg Sikorsky's remains were found in March.

"It was hard, going through both of those services," Perry Sikorsky said. He gave the eulogy for his brother at both Masses.

And as for closure, "It just doesn't exist in my book," he said. "But I was very thankful to bring him home and give him a proper burial."

The family plans a Sept. 21 thank-you barbecue for the members of Squad 41 and Engines 46 and 47, where Greg Sikorsky worked during his FDNY career.

"They have been just amazing," Perry Sikorsky said of the city firefighters. "They still call me and let me know what's going on."

In February, Perry Sikorsky was invited to the annual FDNY Hose Race on skis at Hunter Mountain.

"Greg used to go and I went to represent him," he said.

Sikorsky's father, George, is in Germany for a free two-week trip, thanks to Squad 41 and a German fire department that is hosting a group of FDNY members.

Steve Sikorsky turns 4 this month; it will be his second birthday without his father.

Marie Sikorsky brings the child to visit Perry at the family's service station on Route 306 each week.

"We go out and have a 'man-to-man' lunch," Perry Sikorsky said.

"Marie is so good. She's a strong woman and her son is her life now."

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsro...vignettes.html