Thread: EMS Victim Mourned One Year After WTC

EMS Victim Mourned One Year After WTC

EMS VICTIM MOURNED ONE YEAR AFTER WTC

By JAMIE SCHRAM

September 15, 2002 -- Paramedic Carlos Lillo, one of only two city EMS paramedics to die in last year's World Trade Center attacks, was remembered yesterday as a wonderful husband by his wife, who miraculously survived the attack.

"He was my life. He was my everything," Cecelia Lillo said during funeral services.

Carlos, 37, rushed to the Twin Towers as soon as the first plane struck.

He was saving lives in the north tower when it collapsed. His wife, an administrator for the Port Authority, managed to escape from the 64th floor of the south tower, despite some injuries.

His brother Cesar said Carlos, who loved his wife more than anything, must have been frantic as he tried to help victims.

Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta and former Mayor Rudy Giuliani were among the hundreds of mourners who paid their respects at Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church in Deer Park, L.I.

Giuliani greeted family members with kisses and kind words.

At least 200 people, including EMTs, paramedics, firefighters and family members, also attended the funeral.

Yesterday's service wasn't the first for Carlos. In May, emergency medical technicians and paramedics from as far away as Canada and Boston came to lower Manhattan to honor him and the other FDNY paramedic to die in the terror attack, Ricardo Quinn.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/57023.htm

L.I. memorial honors 9/11 EMS hero

L.I. memorial honors 9/11 EMS hero

By KERRY BURKE
    DAILY NEWS WRITER

More than a year has passed since the terrorist attacks, yet former Mayor Rudy Giuliani and 300 firefighters and paramedics still spent part of a weekend morning remembering a city worker who lost his life rescuing others.

From as far away as Boston and Philadelphia, mourners traveled to Deer Park, L.I., to say goodbye to 39-year-old Carlos Lillo of North Babylon, who was killed when the World Trade Center collapsed.

"Carlos was a hero before Sept. 11," Giuliani told the crowd at Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church. "The same Carlos who was saving people when the towers came down had spent 16 years helping people as an EMS worker."

A member of Battalion 49 in Astoria, Queens, Lillo was assigned to a triage site on Church St. facing 1 World Trade Center. As Lillo was treating victims, his wife, Cecilia Lillo, was working 64 floors above.

After the bombing attack in 1993, Lillo had drilled her on an escape plan, Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta said.

"Ironically, that training saved her life, even as he lost his own," he said.

After the ceremony, Lillo's paramedic partner Robert Abril recalled their last moments together.

"At all times he was treating people. The last thing Carlos said before we got separated was he hoped his wife was safe," Abril said.

"I called him on the radio, and he said, 'Don't worry about me. I'm okay.' Then the building came down."

Lillo's remains were identified in May.

Paramedic Jack Schaefer, Lillo's field training officer when he was hired 15 years ago, said, "Carlos was the American dream.

"He emigrated from Puerto Rico with no skills and no English. He educated himself, worked his way up in the department, married and bought a home in the suburbs. It's not supposed to end this way."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/stor...9p-18028c.html