Thread: NY Gubernatorial Candidate Golisano's Plan Calls for Cutting Full Time Firefighters

Unhappy��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� NY Gubernatorial Candidate Golisano's Plan Calls for Cutting Full Time Firefighters

NY Gubernatorial Candidate Golisano's Plan Calls for Cutting Full Time Firefighters

Courtesy of 10 NBC/WHEC TV-10, Rochester, New York

A plan by gubernatorial candidate Tom Golisano to save tax dollars has upset some firefighters. Golisano is recommending that full-time paid firefighters be replaced over time by volunteer firefighters.

"We've had the luxury and the value of having volunteer fire departments in our suburban areas and our rural areas for a long, long time. And many parts of our urban area, we have the same type of buildings, the same type of housing. Why wouldn't it be applicable to have volunteer fire departments in parts of our urban area," said Golisano.

Golisano's suggestion has been the hot topic at area firehouses. Mostly because many firefighters think it's so outrageous. But Golisano says he disagrees. "I don't think it's that controversial," said Golisano.

Joseph Montesano, President of the Rochester Fire Fighter's Association is outraged.

Gubernatorial Candidate Tom Golisano NO VOTE

1.THIS GUY DOESNT HAVE A CLUE ABOUT FIREFIGHTING.
    2.IT'S NICE TO BE IMPORTANT,
    BUT IT'S MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE.
    3. DONT WASTE THE TAXPAYERS TIME
    YOU LOST THE ELECTION ALREADY.
    4. MOST POLITICIANS DONT CUT OUR THROATS,
    TILL THEY GET ELECTED.
    5, BAD NEWS IS ALWAYS BAD NEWS.
    6. NOT GOING TO LOSE ANY SLEEP OVER THIS GUY.
    7. THANK GOD, HELP IS THERE WHEN YOU NEED IT.
    8.IF WE CUT THE PAY OF POLITICIANS IN HALF,
    WE COULD SAVE THE LIVES OF FIREFIGHTERS
    WITH BETTER EQUIPMENT AND RADIOS.
    9. PLUS WITH THE EXTRA SAVINGS,
    WE CAN HIRE THE TRUE AMOUNT WE NEED.
    10. KEEP THE FAITH MY BROTHERS,
    AMERICA IS ON OUR SIDE

NEIL DONAHUE

This is typical bean counting rhetoric. And quite a ballsy statement by a politician in this "Year of the Firefighter". I guess his polls indicated that people are over the whole 'firefighter hero thing'.

This is all probably based on the belief that those who choose firefighting, do it because they want to.... and not as a job.

Factor in that most firefighters have second jobs because they don't make enough, where their seconds jobs might actually make more than their life threatening, life saving job.... and you might think that the paid firefighters are ALREADY volunteering.

However... when it is difficult to recruit and retain volunteers. He should look into the levels of volunteers in the last few years.

I suggest we go a different way.... We give most volunteer fire departments a small paid force. Even if it was 1 or 2 people on duty at all times in a firehouse. They would be the 'drivers'. That way, they can have the rig out on the apron ready to go as the rest of the vollies pull up.

Unfortunately, everyone praises the firefighter, but no one wants to pays them. It's a good thing Batman was a millionaire, otherwise he'd never be able to protect Gotham City.
    Brian Shea
    Co-Director of Fallen Brothers Foundation
    (foundation charity dissolved 2006)

Thumbs down�����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

How much does this guy get paid, I wonder?? What an incredibly short-sighted, ill-considered idea. Hopefully he will be the only idiot who thinks it's a good one. It's akin to saying that nurses in state-funded hospitals should be replaced by volunteers to save money, and who would do that? I certainly don't intend to decry the work of volunteer firefighters - here in Australia we wouldn't get through the bushfire season without them - but this bloke needs to remember that you get what you pay for. As dedicated as a volunteer firefighter may be, he or she still needs to put food on the table and pay the bills. Which means that the job that pays them the money has to be the priority, not the one that they do out of the goodness of their hearts, and who would blame them for that?

And Brian, I'm sure it's not the case that his constituents are over the firefighter hero thing. Over here, we've always been pretty fond of our fireys (probably because we see them out there every summer, professional and volunteer, fighting those bloody bushfires)and I'm sure Americans feel the same way. It would be pretty bloody sad if it takes a tragedy like 9/11 to make them realise what a fantastic job you lot do every day.

ffswife
    The man is an idiot.

Hopefully the FDNY comes out in force & votes for someone other then him.

Send a message that this idea is idiotic.