Thread: Engine 010 Ladder 010

Post������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������ Engine 10 Ladder 10

I do not understand how the designation Engine 10 Ladder 10 works. Please pardon my ignorance, but in England our firemen work in watches, white, red or blue for example, out of a specific station.

I do know that the world owes a debt of gratitude to the men of the fire service. Those who were lost on 9/11 and those four men who died in Paris last week out on a shout trying to save lives.

I was proud to read that this particular station is being reborn out of the ashes. The fabric of the building may be renovated, but there will be nothing unknown in the spirit of those who will work from within it.

Best wishes to the members of this proud company.

Carol

interesting question

Engine 10 Ladder 10

This firehouse has 2 companies. An Engine, and a Ladder.

The Engine carries the hose, and pumps the water. Though it is usually manned with 6 firefighters (officer, Pump operator, plus 4 firefighters to stretch the hose to the seat of the fire. (though, with budget cuts, for some reasons the bean counters think it's ok to have only 3 firefighters do the stretch of 300 ft plus lengths, despite research that proves it is puts firefighters safety, health and life at risk - but that's another story)

The Ladder is the rig with the ladders, responsible for the Ventilation, Entry, and Search of the area.

We are assigned to a either an Engine or Ladder company, with our specific duties, but on any given tour we can work elsewhere.

Need more info, let me know.
    Brian Shea
    Co-Director of Fallen Brothers Foundation
    (foundation charity dissolved 2006)

Talking��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� Engine 10, Ladder 10

Dear Brian

Many thanks for the information you sent in reply to my query. Yes I know all about bean counters. My husband works offshore 100+ miles from Aberdeen in Scotland. We had a report that the local fire services in Suffolk have cancelled their offshore fire fighters service, so if anything major happens offshore, there will only be the Lincolnshire fire brigade taking the strain.

I can well believe those suits who juggle the beans believe they are acting to save money, but as I always say, what is more important, Money or lives. After 9/11, can any idiot justify issuing instructions which puts lives in danger. I DON'T THINK SO!

Keep plugging away at city hall. ( I hope I got that saying right)
    Here in the UK we have town halls or council offices.

Keep up the fight for your guys and gals.
    Carol