Thread: Firefighters Snub Artist's Painting

Firefighters Snub Artist's Painting

Firefighters snub artist's painting
    Thursday, October 17, 2002

By Martin Luttrell
    Telegram & Gazette Staff

WORCESTER-- An artist who painted a scene from the World Trade Center attack is disappointed that Worcester firefighters rejected the work he said was meant to memorialize their fallen brothers everywhere.
    Firefighters Local 1009 president Frank Raffa said his membership was uncomfortable with a painting that appeared to be a politically correct revision of a famous photograph of three New York City firefighters raising the American flag amid the Trade Center rubble, forced upon them by the artist's sister.
    The painting by Marion artist Alexander Byron, titled,

Mr Bryon, I don't think it has anything to do with the firefighter's colour. From what I gather from this article, it is because you changed the picture, therefore it is no longer a true representation of a fully documented historical moment. But just out of curiosity, why did you feel you had to make one of the firefighters in your reproduction "black"? Just for the sake of political correctness? Sorry, but there's a time and a place for that, and this really isn't it.

I agree with you Emily and the FDNY.

To me it would almost be like getting a family portrait done and having the photographer decide that your family wasn't a real representation of "all" families and change the picture.

The 3 firefighters in the picture are brothers, we don't need to change their "family".

If you want a memorial for all firefighters - create one of your own, Ms. Byron - don't try to change history. I don't think this is a race issue - its historical accuracy.

Just my humble opinion.

Administrator
    We stopped the "PC" sculpture project. Why did they think it would be OK as a painting? This is old. And tiresome. And not worth any more words/energy.

The issue here, unfortunately, is misguided racism, on the part of those looking for it.

The photo is of firefighters. It is a symbol of their strength and unity, and the hope of a nation. Firefighters are one. There is no race or gender.

When we see Michael Jordan, or Ali, do we see 'Black athlete', or GREAT athletes? Color has nothing to do with great feats. And to add color is the racism. I noticed that there are not many 'great' asian basketball players. Perhaps we should slightly alter Jordan's face to give him a slightly more Asian look.

For the racists that need to share their vision of race in everything.... if they want to make something that THEY thing symbolizes all races, how about using NO race. Use a featureless figure like a manequin or something.

Or, perhaps firefighters should start looking at race in fires..... hmmmmm, let's see, I've already saved 4 black people, but there is a few more to get, but..... I haven't saved any Hispanics today, so maybe I should pass by these 2 more blacks and look for a few more possible hispanics. Oh, and hopefully I can find some whites on the way. gosh, I hope there is an asian in here, then I can be sure that I've rescued the proper percentage of races.
    Brian Shea
    Co-Director of Fallen Brothers Foundation
    (foundation charity dissolved 2006)

LOL @ Brian and the racial group rescue quota! The bottom line is that race was not an issue until this so-called artist decided to make it one. Hey - I just thought - I should be offended because there wasn't a woman included in that painting of his! Aren't we people too? He may not be racist but it sounds like he's sexist! Dammit, now I'm angry too... Mr Artist Guy, it's people like you that give equal opportunity a bad name...

Talking��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� You Just made my day!

GREAT responses guys! You just made my day. And by the way, I agree 100%.

Glad to be of service!!! Though can I just ask....responses to what???
    Last edited by Emily; 10-25-2002 at 03:51 AM.

Thumbs up������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� I was Responding to Racism Issue

I was responding to the racism issue--I got a big kick out of Brian's in particular because it's all too true, sad to say.

Administrator
    Gwen,

If you want to respond to a message, go to that message and hit the "POST REPLY" button.

That way, the "thread" of the message is kept consistant and everyone else will know what you are referring to. If you create a new message, especially in a different forum, it is very confusing!!

Good luck

WEBWEAVER

Unhappy��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� I was closed out

Sorry. I seemed to be "closed out" of the Reply area for some reason. I'll try again.