Thread: New Member

Oshkosh, Wisconsin (Native of New London, Wisconsin)

My name is Stacey McGowan. Im 30 yrs old, born on Sept. 11th,1972 in Appleton, Wisconsin. 21 yr. native of New London, Wisconsin currently living in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I am the 2nd cousin of Fire Lt. Kevin Kloehn and Twin Firefighters Bret and Bart Roloff all from the New London, Wisconsin Fire Dept.

PS all my prayers and thoughts to all the fallen firefighters and many thank yous to all of the countless heroes of 9-11 ... may u never be forgotten.
    Stacey L. McGowan

Stacey,

You now share a unique day with your cousins. Obviuosly it is your birthday. However, I'm sure your aware, it is also the day 343 of our brothers were killed. It is always nice to hear a thank you every now and then. Although, I did not personally go to New york, my heart, mind and soul was there. I'm sure your cousins felt the same way, if they did not go up.

I began my firefighting life in 1987, 18 yrs. old and did not know any better of what exactly I was getting myself into. 15 1/2 yrs. later, I have the coolest job around. Although, it is part time, I enjoy every minute of my time at the firehouses and hearing "war stories" from other firefighters.

Anyway, just a little thank you for your letter. May your cousins be safe and my our brothers always watch over their firehouse familes.
    Brotherhood

Ty Axe

ty for your words of kindness axe ... my cousin Kevin is simply amazing ... Hes been on the NLFD (a volunteer fire dept) for about 26 yrs already and is a fire lieutenant (as you may tell by my screen name) ... hes going to turn 43 this year in march, last year on the 15th of march my cousin (kevin) had a heart attack and then a stroke ... they lost him once but got him back ... when I learned of his heartattack/stroke my heart just dropped to the floor ... I couldnt believe it, his wife was 6 months pregnant at the time and was only married to him for about 2 yrs ... My cousin has almost made a full recovery and is now a father of a healthy new baby boy named Raymond Lee (he looks exactly like his dad) ... kevin has returned to the fire dept and is also currently running his business (a bar and cafe') ... Hes truely my hero and my biggest supporter in life

Stace
    Stacey L. McGowan

Thumbs up������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� Good News

Stace,

I believe you are new to this web site, as I remember from your 1st posting "new member". Forgive me for not welcoming you...So...Welcome aboard.

It sounds like your family has been busy and it sounds like your cousin is doing good. Congrats to him on being a father.

Our 3rd child is due in July. We found out it will be a boy. His name will be Noah Kyle Christopher. We also have a 2 1/2 yr. old girl who is a pistol and knows how to win my heart. Her name is Halia Kyle Katherine. Unfortunatley, we had a son who passed away from a disease called Tay Sachs. His name was Kyle. He had a disease that has to be carried by both parents, which is then passed onto the child. He was born Oct. '96 and passed July '99. He is our angel and is always watching over us. I know he is always with me whenever I go into a fire. Both our daughter and future son have been tested. They are both fine.

Please pass on to your family my prayers on your counsins return to his good health and the birth of his son. It is also great news that he has returned to firefighting, something I know he has longed for.

Andy Hesselbrock
    "Axe"
    Brotherhood

Ty Andy ... ... Im going to see my cousin this friday so I will pass along the messages that you have posted, he'd be so happy to hear them ... I also forgot to mention to you that my cousin is also a father to 3 other kids, the youngest from his 1st marriage just turned 19 ... Im sorry to hear about the passing of your son ... our family had and has many passings, the last ones being in 02 ... my grandmother and great aunt had both passed away within a 4 month time frame ...

So going on about firefighters and their different experiences out in the firefighting field ... Is there a fire call that was different from all the rest?

For my cousin it was the time where he had a fire call to a house on the South side of New London ... it was a 2 story house that was occupied by a husband and wife in their early 80s with their son who was a single father and his 2 kids (a boy and a girl) ... their house became engulfed in flames after their wood burning stove downstairs ignited the interior of the basement and it had spread to the main floor as well as the 2nd floor ... my cousin being the most dedicated firefighter I know who went the extra step to try to save the family expecally the 2 kids who were in their upstairs bedroom above the back kitchen ... he went for the ladder and as he was setting it up againest the house he stepped on a down powerline, as soon as he done that he got shocked and got burned really bad ... my other cousin Bret had gotten burned in the face by the fire as well ... the grandfather, his son, and the sons 2 kids all died in the fire, the grandmother made it out ... its a fire that rocked our small town and is remembered every Feb. 2nd with a memorial that is placed on site where the house use to be

Well, I've had a number of fires, but there are 2 that stick out in my mind.

The 1st came in around midnight, a few yrs. ago. I wasn't even supposed to be at work that night. I had read the schedule wrong. However, the Lt. had allowed me to work. Anyway, upon our arrival, flames were blowing out of the front bedroom window. {In a firefighters eyes, it was a beautiful sight}....HA HA HA HA....I had made entry with the 2nd in team. My partner and I were search/rescue. After our search, we assisted the attack team with the fire. Little did I know, what came out through the arms of the firefighters was the homeowner. She had falled asleep smoking and had burned her self beyond recognition.

The 2nd came in as a porch fire...I'm thinking a little porch on fire, what could burn on a porch...I soon found out it was a room addition. As we were making the initial attack, the picture window which faced the street had blown out, scared me to death. After that we were waiting on water at the front door, when the fire began to rollover our heads. Although we were in need of water and fast, the rollover was beautiful.
    Brotherhood

Unregistered
    few questions for you seeing that you're a firefighter ...

1) Do you help out with alot of car accidents scenes or just a few here and there?

*note* - My cousin is the person that is the head of the Jaws of Life and rescue

2) Does your dept require you to have a medical certificate to be able to respond to a car accident scene?

*note* - Our dept. (where I use to live, New London, Wisc) just recently had to have a full medical training and had to be certified to respond to any car accident scenes

3) Roughly how many firefighters are on your dept?

*note* - There roughly about 25 to 30 on my cousins dept, here in Oshkosh its alot more seeing that it is a city of a population of 68,000 people and New London having a population of about 7,000 people

Stace

Stace

1) I do respond to accidents. Either I am on the squad or with the engine company. Most of the time, I a driving the rescue truck that has the jaws of life plus some other extrication tools as well.

2) All of our members are required to have their Emergency Medical Technicians license as well as a Health Care Providor CPR card. We also have EMT-Intermediates and Paramedics. All of the medics are either full time at one job or another. The licenses are good for a few years. After that, we are required to sit through a refresher course or attend drills to add up Continuing Education Hrs.

3) Well, I run for 3 part time depts. North College Hill, which is where I grew up. It is a little subdivision of about 5,000 people. we have approx. 25 people on the dept. We made around 1400 EMS and fire incidents. It is just outside of the City of Cincinnati.

The 2nd dept. I run for is Springfield Twp. we have approx. 85 people that are on the dept. Both comprised of full time and part time. Last year we made approx. 3,980 fire and EMS incidents.

The 3rd dept. I run for is a village on the East side of Cincinnati, called Mariemont. That is more like a vacation to me just because we hardly have any calls to go on. There we have 5 full time officers and 15 part time EMT's and Medics who are also firefighters.

For my full time job, I am a Security Officer for Cincinnati Childrens Hospital.

How is your cousin doing? I remember you said that you were going to see him Friday. Hope all is well.

"Axeman"
    Brotherhood

Unregistered

Wink������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

Good Morning Axe...
    Sorry about the long delay, life got a little bit hectic for me. My cousin Kevin is doing good, keeping fit and staying healthy. His son Raymond is growing like a weed, his daddy's pride and joy .. Kevin and his wife got a divorce, to much stress on her part. Kevin now has another girlfriend that thinks the world of him and supports him 100% in his firefighting, and they are very happy together.

Stace