Thread: Bio from the NY Times - John Schardt

Bio from the NY Times - John Schardt

John A. Schardt: Working Just Like Dad

Can character run in a family the way perfect pitch and broad shoulders sometimes can?

Consider John A. Schardt. When he was a boy his father gave him a white painter's hat, a brush and a bucket filled with water.

As his father painted their house, little John brushed water on the foundation, happy in the notion that he was helping. Little John became a firefighter with Engine Company 201 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

"He wanted to be a fireman because he could get to help people," said his wife, Jeanette. "It was just a need he had in him."

In the Schardt family they say Firefighter Schardt, 34, had hands of gold, like his father, Robert. Together they ripped out an ugly metal railing in the new colonial-style house that he and his wife had bought on Staten Island and replaced it with one of solid oak.

Firefighter Schardt liked having his first son, Robert, now 4, with him when he worked on a house. "Robbie, bring your tools," he would say as he headed for a job. Now, whenever someone comes to work on the Schardts' house, Robbie whips out his little bucket of plastic tools and says, "I'm going to work like my daddy."

Jeanette Schardt said, "The other day one of his teachers told me Robbie said he wants to be a fireman.

"I'm not too crazy about that, but I guess I've got years to dissuade him."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/08/na...08SCHARDT.html