Jacksonville street honors Monroe 9/11 victim

By Chris McKenna
Times Herald-Record
cmckenna@th-record.com

When trucks rumble from the fire station at Jacksonville International Airport in Florida, firefighters on board will pass a reminder of a Monroe man who lost his life on Sept. 11.

A street there has just been named for Kenneth Marino, a New York City firefighter from Monroe. The sign reads: Firefighter Ken Marino FDNY Rescue 1 Memorial Drive.

A Jacksonville Fire Department captain - once related to Marino by marriage - came up with the idea and got the airport's approval.

Yesterday, Capt. Richard Morphew was one of about 40 people on hand for a ceremony dedicating the sign near Station 16.

A fire chaplain read prayers, and then everyone sat down to a southern fish fry.

Marino's family members said they were touched by the gesture.

"It's very wonderful the way people reach out," said his mother, Mary Ann Marino of Oceanside, Long Island. She went to the ceremony with her husband, Pat.

"I'm honored that they would remember Kenny and do something so special in his honor," said his widow, Katrina, who was home in Monroe with her two children, Kristin, 5, and Tyler, 3.

Morphew got the idea when he was in New York City last year for a memorial for the Sept. 11 victims. He had lunch with Marino's parents at the Rescue 1 station - Marino's old firehouse - and asked if "they would object if I did something for Kenny," he recalled.

The airport authority made it easy to name the street, Morphew said. Seeing the sign, he added, "reminds me of what so many men gave up and so many families gave up in New York."

http://www.recordonline.com/archive/...6/camstree.htm