Thread: Mike wants FDNY 24/7

Mike wants FDNY 24/7

Mike wants FDNY 24/7

Offers raises in exchange for round-the-clock shifts

By MICHAEL SAUL
    DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU

Mayor Bloomberg has suggested that firefighters can get a 3% to 4% raise - if they change their work schedule to exclusively 24-hour shifts, the Daily News has learned.

The move would save the city millions of dollars by reducing the head count and curtailing some overtime.

At the same time, city officials are weighing a proposal to close 37 firehouses from 6 p.m. to 9 a.m., a move that would save the cash-starved city roughly $33 million - and possibly preempt City Hall's unpopular plan to shutter eight fire companies.

But neither proposal was well received by firefighter unions.

"Closing one fire company is completely and totally unacceptable - closing 37 fire companies is insane," said Stephen Cassidy, president of the Uniformed Firefighters Association. "There's no doubt in my mind that people will die as a result of this."

He also said his members are not interested in changing their work cycle, which calls for them to work 15-hour night shifts. Bloomberg's plan would give firefighters three days off, sandwiched by 24-hour shifts. It would increase the number of hours worked by 100 a year.

"I don't think it has any possibility of happening, considering they are trying to close firehouses at night," Cassidy said.

Peter Gorman, president of the Uniformed Fire Officers Association, said he's willing to consider the shift proposal.

City officials said the 24-hour shift is not as revolutionary as it sounds. They said many firefighters already informally switch shifts and work around the clock.

Faced with a huge budget deficit, Bloomberg has enraged the unions by insisting that he will not grant raises unless they are financed by increased productivity.

Layoff threatened

In November, Bloomberg threatened to lay off 12,000 workers if the unions did not accept $600 million in concessions.

Gorman said yesterday he won't be forced into giving up benefits to meet the $600 million goal.

"I have 50 years of collective bargaining in my contract paid for by blood, sweat and the burned flesh of firefighters and fire officers," he said. "I am not going to be intimidated."

Originally published on March 29, 2003

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/stor...7p-65972c.html

INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY?????!!!!!???? what the bloody hell does he think he's talking about?? This is FDNY, not a Holden production line!

Seriously though, I am intrigued. How would one go about "increasing productivity" in a firehouse?
    Last edited by Emily; 03-31-2003 at 06:29 AM.