Thread: Youngest Of The Bravest Laid To Rest

Youngest Of The Bravest Laid To Rest

YOUNGEST OF THE BRAVEST LAID TO REST

June 8, 2003 -- Hundreds of family members, friends and fellow FDNY members gathered in Staten Island yesterday morning to say a somber goodbye to the youngest firefighter killed on 9/11.

Firefighter Michael Cammarata, 22, was last seen evacuating people from the Marriott Hotel when the World Trade Center collapsed. Since his body was never identified, a vial of blood he donated before his death was placed in a casket presented at Our Lady Star of the Sea Church. He was eulogized by Mayor Bloomberg, FDNY Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta, and his brother, Joseph Jr., who became a firefighter after Michael's death.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/606.htm

Belated farewell

Belated farewell

By MICHAEL SAULand DON SINGLETON
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Michael Cammarata, the youngest firefighter to die in the terror attacks on the World Trade Center, was finally laid to rest yesterday.

Mayor Bloomberg, Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta and other officials gathered with relatives of the 22-year-old for a funeral Mass at a Staten Island church.

Cammarata's body was never recovered after the Sept. 11, 2001, tragedy. A vial of blood he had given for testing as a bone marrow donor and some personal items were in the coffin in Our Lady Star of the Sea Church on Amboy Road.

A family tradition

One of six probationary firefighters to die in the attacks, Cammarata carried the shield number of his uncle, Doug Bartocci, a 30-year veteran of the department. Michael Cammarata's brother, Joseph Cammarata, joined the FDNY last year.

Michael Cammarata seemed to have it all: He received the highest possible score on the firefighter exam, 105 on the written test and 105 on the physical, and at the firehouse his nickname was The Face, because of his movie-star good looks.

"A gifted athlete, a gifted person - that was my brother," Joseph Cammarata said. "He had a heart of gold and a sense of humor that will make you laugh or go hide in the closet because he's making a mockery of you. ... When he walked in the room, he lit it up like the lights of Las Vegas.

"Thank you for being my guardian angel who will help me succeed in life, who got me through the Fire Academy and will help me be a firefighter. Thanks for being you, Mike."

"He was a firefighter who had incredible eagerness. He was probably the best probie I ever encountered so far in my six years as a lieutenant," said Lt. Jim Rallis of Ladder 11. "He was going to be an incredibly great firefighter."

Michael Cammarata also leaves his sister, Kimberly; his parents, Joseph and Linda, and his grandmother, Josephine Warren.

A memorial service was held at the same church on Oct. 5, 2001, which would have been Cammarata's 23rd birthday.

Originally published on June 8, 2003