Thread: Mesa Arizona Firefighters win Paramedic, EMT prizes

Mesa Arizona Firefighters win Paramedic, EMT prizes

Mesa firefighters win paramedic, EMT prizes

Patricia Biggs
    The Arizona Republic
    Jul. 19, 2003 12:00 AM

MESA - When Mesa Firefighter Keith Pyers received a letter asking him to attend a city staff meeting, he thought he was in trouble, big time.

"The only time they ever invite you to see administration is when you do something silly," said Pyers, 33. "I thought, 'Great, they're going to fire me; I did something stupid.' "

Fellow Firefighter Scott Crawford, who also received a summons, reacted differently.

"You never want to go to a staff meeting because they aren't the most exciting thing you could do in the fire service," said Crawford, 43.

He told his captain he wouldn't go, but his captain insisted he attend.

With good reason: Pyers and Crawford were being honored by Arizona Emergency Medical Systems as Paramedic and EMT of the year, respectively. AEMS is a non-profit organization that works to improve the quality of emergency medical care in central Arizona.

Mesa fire Capt. Paul Bourgeois, who nominated the pair, said it was "quite an honor" that two men on the same crew won the awards.

"They're both teachers in their field. Keith instructs paramedics around the state and works for Native Air. Scott also spends a great deal of time within our department, teaching our new firefighters about physical fitness and nutrition," Bourgeois said.

Crawford is about to celebrate his 10th anniversary with the Mesa Fire Department.

"He's an exceptional engineer and exceptional EMT. I think what really stands out about Scott is just the standard that he holds himself to," Bourgeois said. "He doesn't do anything halfway. He's great at anything he tries to do."

One example was Crawford's decision to learn Spanish to better serve the largely Hispanic area around Fire Station 204. That language skill has helped often, Bourgeois said.

Pyers has been with the department for eight years.

"He provides exceptional customer service; he's all about helping somebody out," Bourgeois said. "He's really a model to the rest of us."

Pyers said it meant a lot to him to be nominated by his co-workers.

"It was nice to think that those people who work with me think that I'm doing an OK job," he said.

Crawford agreed that it's an honor, but downplayed the attention.

"Honestly, we just want to do our job. It's great that they're saying we're doing a good job, but we kind of think everyone should be doing a good job," he said.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...19MesaEMT.html

Mesa Arizona Firefighters win Paramedic, EMT prizes

EMT Arizona Patch