Thread: I remember.

I remember.

I worked at JFK for 18 months or so as a mechanic for UAL. Then it was time to move home to Chicago. Probably like everyone else September 11th, 2001 started out like any other day. My husband is also a mechanic for UAL and worked the midnight shift at ORD. As I was taking the kids to school, my husband called me from work and said "Who flies 737's out of LGA?" I asked him why and he said because there's a reports a 737 took off from LGA, lost control and crashed into the World Trade Center. Well, I told him I'd call my mom at home and tell her to turn on the TV. I called my mom who was giving me the play by play watching NBC. She put the phone near the TV so I could hear an 'eyewitness account' report that a commercial jet, probably a 737 had taken off from LGA and appeared to have lost control and crash into the WTC. All of a sudden, I heard my mom say 'MY GOD, another one just crashed into the other tower. . . THEY'RE TERRORISTS.

I had just dropped 2 of my kids off at school and my then 2 year old decided to wiggle out of her car seat, jump on my back to 'Surprise' me with a hug. Problem is, she did this just as I was passing a police officer who promptly made a U-turn and proceed to pull me over. I was crying, trying to get home, my cell phone was ringing with my husband calling to tell me what he had just also witnessed and here came 'Officer-High-and-Tight-just-what-do-you-think-you're-doing-lady'. He asked me what my problem was and I said, Officer, I work for United and terrorist just crashed 2 planes into the World Trade Center in New York. He shook his head, asked me for my license and registration and said 'Oh, now I've heard them all now!' and promptly wrote me a ticket for an unrestrained child. As he handed me the ticket, he finished it off with 'I'd be more concerned with scraping your kid off the pavement than some wild story about plane crashes'. I hope when he got back to his station house he felt about 2 inches tall.

When I got home, I turned the TV on and then learned that another plane had crashed into the Pentagon and yet another in a field in Pennsylvania. It was tense moments wondering if there would be a fifth. I worked swing shift that day, and the silence at ORD was so eerie. No familiar sounds of jet noise, no big lumbering jets taxiing by the hangar, no ramp traffic, no radio chatter. Just silence.

Those were our planes! My husband and I, at one time or another had worked on those planes. The mix of emotions, fear, anger, rage, profound sadness ran rampent over the following weeks.

I still cry when I see the pictures or watch something on TV about it.

My family and I went to a silent parade on September 11th, 2003 in the town where my children go to school. The town where we live didn't do much by way of a memorial, other than putting the flags at half mast. We were the only school family there. The firetrucks and emergency vehicles had their flashing lights on and slowly, silently drove past the parade route. Only a handful of people lined the route as requested with lit candles. That made me sadder still. People are either forgetting or choosing not to remember. We must never forget September 11th, 2001.

We must never forget.

George D. Fenn

Unhappy��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� I will always remember

I will always remember that sad day . I was like most people
    here in Oklahoma at work or just getting to work when all
    hell broke loose. We watched the news in shock and then
    we got the call to be ready for call up for activation as at my
    shop we're national guard technicians in civil service .
    I am also a member of a small volunteer fire dept and I felt
    the tug to go help my brothers in New York, BUT becouse
    I wear a differnt uniform Iwas unable to go to NYC but called
    to duty and report to Ft Sill for dutyassignment the next day.
    Little did any of us know that it would take 9 hours to get to
    our duty station. I feel guilty for not being able to go help.
    Every Sept 11th I fly my flag at half staff to remember and
    drive with lights on as tribute to me brothers.
    I lost 343 brothers that day but some of them were also comrades in arms.
    I will always remember.

Unregistered

I still remember!

:""(

I still remember that day. It still makes me cry. Even though I did not know anyone personally that passed that day. But those people are/were related to me some how, some way and I cried that day and still cry at the sight of pictures of that day.

I pray for our police, fire and EMT's every time I hear a siren of the police, fire or EMT...I pray for them and the person or persons that need them.

I pray for our military every time I hear a military plane fly overhead. Which is more than several times a day.

I thank God for all of them and ask that he protects them. Psalms 91

I still remember 11, September 2001

Today is Tuesday, 17 May 2005