Thread: Learning about Joe

I have just found this site while veiwing a very powerful 9/11 presentation.

After researching it, I found Joe Spor's name and wanted to learn more about him.

I am a Fire Captain and member of one of the FEMA Urban Search and Rescue Teams. I was deployed to Ground Zero for 10 days immediately following the attacks. My team was assigned to the Church Street division with the command post in front of 10/10. During the course of searching the pit, I found what appeared to be a helmet. I then verified it with a search camera. Assisting me was another team member. Some FDNY members who were with me in the pit, were then notified and retrieved the helmet. I did not find out who it belonged to until corresponding with another Rescue 3 Firefighter, Mike Davis who I saw at the top of the pit prior to entering it that same night. I had found Joe's helmet.

I have read all of the threads and have learned alot about Joe. I am sure there is much more to learn. I have a 15 year old son who is also wanting to follow in my footsteps. He is a Fire Explorer and lives for his Wednesday night training sessions. It really hit home reading about Joe Sr. and Joe wanting to follow him into the fire service.

I feel better learning about Joe, his family and his life. I am honored to have been the one to find his helmet which I learned was given to his family.

I also still deal with the affects of WTC, and this discovery helps me to cope with it. I have a wrist bracelet with Joes

very touching this thread.reading this really moved me.It's hard to believe it has been two years since that day.I know one things for sure I have not forgotten that day.When 343 of F.D.N.Y. bravest lost there lives.