Thread: New York City Firefighter Injured In Brooklyn Blaze

New York City Firefighter Injured In Brooklyn Blaze

Updated: 02-02-2004 10:15:16 AM

New York City Firefighter Injured In Brooklyn Blaze; Police On The Hunt For Arsonist

KEMBERLY RICHARDSON
    Courtesy of ABC7

Link photos Below
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/features...204_fire1.html

A New York City firefighter is seriously injured after a fire was deliberately set. Now police are searching for the arsonist behind it. The firefighter is hospitalized in the Bronx.

Meanwhile, firefighters are holding a bedside vigil at Jacobi Medical Center for the firefighter who sustained massive injuries in Sunday's blaze.

Firefighter Joseph Lennon from Ladder Company 111 rushed up to the third floor of 93 Macon Street in Bed-Stuy yesterday afternoon to battle the fast moving blaze. That's when cops say he was hit in the head by falling debris and went into respiratory arrest.

After a desperate search, firefighters found the 35-year-old Lennon with his air mask off, smoke filling his lungs, and burns to his back.

Lennon was rushed to Kings County Hospital. He was then transferred to Jacobi, where he was placed in a hyperbaric chamber for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Lennon was then taken to the hospital's burn unit. Six other firefighters were also injured. Police say the fire was deliberately set by a tenant who was evicted just the day before. The fire spread east and west to nearby townhouses, damaging a dozen apartments. The roofs of four buildings were gutted in the blaze.

Mayor Bloomberg and Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scopetta visited Lennon at Jacobi yesterday. Lennon is a five-year-veteran of the fire department. He is now listed in stable condition and will recover.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...nId=2&id=25496

INJURED FIRE HERO GETTING BETTER

INJURED FIRE HERO GETTING BETTER

February 3, 2004 -- Hero firefighter Joe Lennon was on the mend yesterday and welcoming support from family, friends and fellow firefighters who streamed in to visit him in his hospital room.

Lennon, 35, was in stable condition at Jacobi Medical Center's burn unit in The Bronx after he inhaled smoke when his mask came off while he battled an arson fire in Bedford-Stuyvesant on Sunday.

"They took the [breathing] tube out this morning," said a relieved Capt. James Yakimovich, from Lennon's Ladder 111 in Brooklyn.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/17182.htm

Firefighter's on mend

Firefighter's on mend

By TAMER EL-GHOBASHY and LEO STANDORA
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Fearless Firefighter Joseph Lennon began breathing on his own again yesterday after nearly being killed in a burning Brooklyn brownstone - and gave thanks to the fellow Bravest who rescued him.

"I'm very blessed to have the best firefighters in the world surrounding me," a friend quoted Lennon as saying from his bed in Jacobi Medical Center, in the Bronx. "They saved me."

The five-year FDNY veteran rasped out praise for his buddies at Ladder Co. 111 against doctor's orders.

"He had a breathing tube down his throat, and he's supposed to keep quiet, but he wanted to talk ... he wanted to tell the guys thanks," the friend said.

Lennon, 35, suffered burns and smoke and carbon dioxide poisoning when he raced into a Bedford-Stuyvesant building Sunday, unaware no tenants were inside.

He was knocked out by falling debris. When rescuers found him, his air mask was off and smoke was filling his lungs. Lennon was lowered out a window in a ladder truck, rushed to Kings County Hospital, and transferred to Jacobi.

Yesterday morning, Sean Lennon emerged from the burn unit and declared with a grin, "My brother Joe is okay. He's conscious, and has his wits about him. Joe is Joe again, and God is going to get him out of here in a few days."

Lennon's mother, wife, Sean and another brother and more than a dozen firefighters from Ladder 111 stood vigil at the hospital through the night.

Although they were not allowed into Lennon's room, firefighters from around the city stopped by the hospital yesterday.

"The Fire Department is incredible," Sean Lennon said. "They've made us feel so comfortable. They've carried us through the whole thing."

Fire marshals late yesterday said the near deadly blaze was the work of an arsonist. The building's owners said that shortly before the fire began, they got an angry call from a tenant who was evicted Saturday.

Originally published on February 3, 2004

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-141126c.html

BRAVEST FACE - update

BRAVEST FACE

By IKIMULISA LIVINGSTON
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 20, 2004 -- Happy to finally be walking on his own, firefighter Joseph Lennon clutched his wife's hand and left the hospital yesterday - his voice still husky from the smoke he swallowed and his body painfully sore after surgery to help mend his severe burns.

Lennon, 35, who rushed into a firestorm Feb. 1, barely survived the cauldron of smoke and flames in a Bedford-Stuyvesant building set ablaze by an arsonist.

Nearly three weeks later, he received the best possible medicine from his dozens of brother firefighters - their thunderous applause, heartfelt hugs and smiles of gratitude that he made it.

At first, too overwhelmed with emotion to speak, the five-year veteran simply wiped his eyes and clung to the podium at New York Hospital.

With a pat of encouragement from his wife, Marie, he found his words.

"I'd like to thank my guys from [Ladder] 111 who dragged me out," he said. "Standing behind me are some of the greatest firefighters in the entire world. I would not be here today if it were not for them."

Lennon described how he lost consciousness, but never lost faith, when something knocked his mask askew after he rushed into 93 Macon St. not knowing the building was empty.

He started sucking in carbon monoxide and knew he didn't have much time.

He thought, "I'd better get to the stairs or they're never going to find me. [But] when the smoke got the better of me, I went down.

"I knew my brothers were coming to get me. I knew they'd be there."

The arsonist who nearly took Lennon's life is still on the loose.

During his hospital stay, he was bedridden for seven days straight, spent time in a hyperbaric chamber for smoke inhalation and had grafts to replace the charred skin on his back and right buttocks.

He thanked the hospital staff, saying the doctors and nurses saved his life.

Lennon, who has been married for "91/2 glorious years," was eager to go home with his wife.

His immediate future includes reading a good book, staying off his right buttock per his doctor's orders and healing in the compression suit he'll have to wear for a whole year to help the skin taken from his leg adhere to his back and backside.

"It's a very humbling experience," he said. "It puts the whole world in perspective."

One thing that hasn't changed is his love for the job.

"I can't wait," he said of the day he'll be back in the firehouse.

"It really is a calling," he said. "I cannot wait."

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/18447.htm

Brave & proud

Brave & proud

Burned firefighter leaves hosp, can't wait to work

By RALPH R. ORTEGA
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Joe Lennon isn't through being a firefighter.

Lennon, who was badly burned after charging into a Brooklyn house fire to save lives, emerged from the hospital yesterday promising to return to the "greatest job in the world."

More than 50 firefighters cheered as Lennon left New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

"I've had some civilians say, 'That's it, you're done, right?'" Lennon said in a choked-up, scratchy voice.

"They would easily take you away ... or put you out to pasture," he added. "But when you're a New York City firefighter, it gets in your blood very quickly."

The 35-year-old, who joined the FDNY five years ago and was working in Ladder Co. 111, rushed into a burning brownstone in Bedford-Stuyvesant on Feb. 1, unaware there were no tenants inside.

Lennon was hit by falling debris and passed out when his protective mask came off. Fast-acting comrades plucked him from the blaze. "I knew my brothers would come for me," Lennon said.

Officials said the fire was deliberately set and is still under investigation. Lennon had a message for the at-large arsonists: "You're not only putting people in danger in their own building - and us - but you're putting the entire block in jeopardy as well."

The fearless firefighter, who headed home with his wife to Long Island, had spent more than two weeks in several hospitals. Skin grafts over his right calf, buttocks and back will take a year to heal.

But Lennon shrugged off the recovery, saying that getting back to the his job is "a light at the end of the tunnel."

"There's been a couple of knuckleheads lately who've had a few unfortunate incidents," he said, alluding to a New Year's Eve fracas in a Staten Island firehouse, where a firefighter smashed another in the face with a chair.

"But 99.999% on this job are outstanding, top-notch men and women," he said. "And I cannot wait to get back to work."

Originally published on February 20, 2004

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-145496c.html

Firefighter Joe Lennon applauded yesterday by Bravest brothers as he leaves hospital with wife, Maria.

Picture