Thread: 2004-02-18 Worcester Deputy Chief John McNamara Retired

2004-02-18 Worcester Deputy Chief John McNamara Retired

Friday, February 20, 2004

Chief John McNamara, 65

TAMPA, FL- Chief John McNamara, 65 of Tampa Palms passed away peacefully in his sleep early Wednesday morning at his home. He is survived by his loving wife, M. Judith; two sons, Patrick J. of Palm Beach Gardens and Evan R. & daughter-in-law, Debra of Boston, MA. John was a retired Deputy Fire Chief & served 38 1/2 years on the Worcester, MA Fire Department and was a Vietnam era Navy Veteran. He was the former elected member of the Red Cross Board of Directors, Program Coordinator for the Massachusetts Fire Academy, Elected member of Local 1009 Firefighters Union-Worcester, MA, member of the National Fire Protection Association and the Executive Board of the Massachusetts Fire Training Council. He was a Team leader for the Sun Coast Chapter of the Florida Trail Association, Vice President of the Massachusetts Association for Fire Service Instructors, member of the International Society of Fire Service Instructors (ISFS), Massachusetts Association of Fire Chiefs, Coordinator for the Worcester, MA Juvenile Fire Setter Program, a member of the Tampa Palms Golf & Country Club and the Massachusetts Retirement System.

Celebration of his life will be held 12:00 Noon, Saturday, February 21, 2004 at Blount & Curry Funeral Home, 3207 W. Bearss Ave., Tampa. A reception will follow at the Tampa Palms Golf and Country Club, 5811 Tampa Palms Blvd., Tampa, FL. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Worcester Firefighters Association Local 1009, IAFF Scholarship Funds, 625 Chandler St., Worcester, MA 01602. An additional Celebration of Life service will be scheduled in Worcester, Massachusetts at a later date to be announced.

ARRANGEMENTS
    Date of Funeral: 02/21/04
    Funeral Home: Blount & Curry Funeral Home
    3207 W. Bearss Ave., Tampa
    Location: at the funeral home. A celebration of life service will be scheduled in Worcester at a later date
    Time: 12 noon

Chief John P. McNamara- Worcester

Thursday, March 4, 2004

Chief John P. McNamara, 65

WORCESTER- Chief John P. McNamara, 65, of Tampa Palms, Fla., and formerly of Rutland, passed away peacefully in his sleep early Wednesday morning, Feb. 18 at his home.

He is survived by his loving wife of 31 years, M. Judith (Kingsbury); two sons, Patrick J. McNamara of Tampa, and Evan R. and his wife Debra McNamara of Allston; two brothers, F. Michael and his wife, Patricia McNamara of Shrewsbury and Richard D. McNamara and his wife Dr. Cheryl Houston of Worcester, and several nephews, nieces and cousins.

He was born in Worcester, the son of Patrick T. and Mary T. (Murphy) McNamara. He graduated from Quinsigamond Community and Worcester State Colleges and was a Navy veteran.

Deputy Chief McNamara worked for the City of Worcester Fire Department for 38 1/2 years, retiring in 2001. He was on the board of directors of the American Red Cross and Vice-President of the Mass Association for Fire Service Instructors. He served as a First Vice-President for the Mass Institute of Fire Department Instructors (MIFDI) from 1999-2001, Program Coordinator for the Mass Fire Academy, elected member of Local 1009 Firefighters Union, member of the National Fire Protection Association and the executive board of the Mass Fire Training Council. He was a team leader for the Sun Coast Chapter of the Florida Trail Association, member of the International Society of Fire Service Instructors(ISFS), Vice President of the Mass Association for Fire Service Instructors, member of Mass. Association of Fire Chiefs, coordinator for the Worcester juvenile fire setter program. He was a member of the Tampa Palms Golf and Country Club and the Massachusetts Retirement System.

A public celebration of his life will be held at Noon, Saturday, March 6, at the Athy Memorial Home, 111 Lancaster St., Worcester. Memorial contributions may be made in John

Mother's Day is poignant for former Rutland Ma.woman

Saturday, May 8, 2004

Her sons support each other, proving that she did a good job

Mother's Day is poignant for former Rutland woman

Jason Feifer
    CORRESPONDENT

John and Judy McNamara always strived to give their sons the tools to follow different dreams. But Patrick and Evan McNamara's paths did not diverge.

They grew up in Rutland and were both first-string quarterbacks at Wachusett Regional High School. After they graduated, they went to the United States Military Academy at West Point, both under the nomination of Sen. John F. Kerry. Then both served overseas after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Patrick in Egypt and Evan in South Korea.

And soon, they'll both be attending Harvard.

Evan, 27, is already there, finishing his first year at Harvard Business School. Patrick, 29, will arrive in the fall to study at the Kennedy School of Government. They will both graduate in 2005.

On this Mother's Day, the bond between the two sons is Mrs. McNamara's proof of a job well done. It is a symbol of success, that the values she taught were the right ones.

But she is grieving for another part of her family, and now turns to her sons for comfort as well as pride. In February, her husband, John, died in his sleep from cardiac arrest, just before the family learned of Patrick's acceptance at Harvard.

"I feel at this moment, as this special Mother's Day is coming up, I wish my husband was here to congratulate both Patrick and Evan," she said. "Everything the two brothers have done, they've followed each other and always been together."

Mrs. McNamara lives in Tampa Palms, Fla., where she and Mr. McNamara moved two years ago. Mr. McNamara had been a member of the Worcester Fire Department for nearly 39 years, but an injury he suffered at the former Worcester Cold Storage and Warehouse Co. fire of 1999 eventually forced him to retire. He was senior deputy chief of the department.

The McNamaras moved to Florida in part because of Patrick, who took a job in the Tampa area about that time. Mr. and Mrs. McNamara loved the area and wanted to enjoy retirement away from the cold New England winters.

When Mr. McNamara died, Patrick moved in with his mother.

Mr. McNamara was a first-generation American, the son of Irish immigrants who worked tirelessly to make enough money in Worcester. He absorbed that work ethic and passed it down to his sons.

In elementary school, Patrick and Evan worked a paper route. When they were old enough, they got part-time jobs. "There isn't a money tree outside," Mrs. McNamara would often tell them.

Patrick said his parents' focus on work was not just about making money. He said he remembers his parents always sacrificing their personal time, and remaining steadfastly unselfish in giving their young sons the time and attention they needed.

"He worked hard. They were there for us, would support us. They didn't really do anything on their own," he said. "It was always focused on making sure my brother and I were taken care of."

That is the spirit Mrs. McNamara said she loves seeing in her sons. They are hard workers, she said. Respectful and intelligent. Fiercely independent. Self-reliant.

"If there's ever a problem in any one of their lives, they call each other," she said. "I have never, in 29 years, ever, ever seen them have an argument that they could not correct themselves."

And so, she said, she will be ready when Patrick has to move out of her home. Sure, she is still grieving, she said, but he has more work to do.

Patrick will live in Cambridge, near Evan, who lives with his wife, Debra, in Allston. The couple are expecting their first baby in August. They do not want to learn the baby's gender ahead of time, which, Mrs. McNamara complained, has put a crimp in her present-buying plans.

Although both her boys will be back near their hometown, Mrs. McNamara said she is going to stay in Tampa Palms, where she has made new friends and is enjoying the house that she and Mr. McNamara renovated.

And because of the strong bond between her sons, she is not worried about being alone. She knows exactly where to find her family.

"I don't regret Patrick going," she said. "In fact, I am more than pleased to give him a big hug and a kiss and send him off, and tell him to do the very best he can.

"I made a decision," she continued, "and I said to myself, "As a mother, my boys are 27 and 29. And you have to let them have their own life.' And no matter how much I'm grieving at the moment at losing my beloved husband, you know, I'm very happy for Patrick and Evan."

A photo taken last year of the McNamara family shows, from left, John, who died in February, Patrick, Judy and Evan.