This memorial day, I will be asking our congregation to spend a moment in prayer of remembrance for those who have made your LODD list. I will ask them to include thoughts of hope for the saftey of the rest of you and sentiments of thanks for what you do everyday.

My proposal is that even in a world of perfect peace there would still be one group of "soldiers" in a battle. You folks who have chosen to wage war against the natural elements and keep us safe daily. Sadly, even in that perfect world, there would always be reason to remember the men and women you memorialize on these pages.

I live just off of Franklin Street and can see the site where the Worcester Cold Storage Warehouse stood from my window. That night, for me, it was just another occasion when I could hear sirens responding to a fire somewhere outside my apt. In the years since that night, each siren I hear holds new meaning. I pass by that site everyday on my way to the train station and 4.5 years later, I still stop and read the names of the fire companies that donated t-shirts to the fence that surrounds that lot in tribute to the six who gave their lives during the crisis.

I am moved that they remain there. Moved enough to have written a song about it which I will be singing in church this coming Sunday at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Worcester on Holden St.

I wanted to share this with you and let you know that we appreciate you and what you do. The losses you share here are shared by all of us who appreciate what you risk everyday.

Bless you all!

Steve Wills - Norfolk St. Worcester, Ma.

P.S. If you like, you can listen to the song "On The Line" which is on the web at http://viper500.mdc.net/mom/music/steve.html, a tribute to the men of the 1009.