Thread: Bravest Honor Fallen

Bravest Honor Fallen

BRAVEST HONOR FALLEN

By STEPHANIE GASKELL

October 7, 2004 -- Thousands of firefighters filled Riverside Park yesterday to honor two of their own who died in the line of duty last year.
    "It's very humbling," said FDNY widow Yetta O'Shea as the firefighters marched past her and her two sons.

O'Shea's husband, James, died from a heart attack shortly after putting out a blaze in Queens. O'Shea, 40, was a 17-year veteran of the department and the first firefighter to die in the line of duty after 9/11.

The department also honored Thomas Brick, 30, who was killed in a Manhattan warehouse fire last year.

Brick's parents said they realized how dangerous the job was the night their son fought his first fire nearly three years ago. He had joined the FDNY shortly after 9/11.

"The first night that he worked, I was awake all night worrying," said Margaret Brick. "Then he came home and he had been in a bad fire and he won a medal for it, so after that I decided to stop worrying."

Brick's father, Thomas Sr., was moved to tears by the firefighters who marched past him at the Firemen's Monument at Riverside Drive and 100th Street.

Mayor Bloomberg and Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta both paid their respects to O'Shea and Brick and 14 other firefighters who died while off-duty last year.

"On behalf of 8 million New Yorkers," said Bloomberg, "I would like to thank the members of New York's Bravest for each day facing dangers the rest of us can barely imagine."

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/20015.htm

Boy grieves as hero dad honored

Boy grieves as hero dad honored

BY MICHELE McPHEE
    DAILY NEWS POLICE BUREAU CHIEF

Jacob O'Shea holds FDNY Medal of Valor his father, fallen Firefighter James O'Shea, was honored with yesterday.

Seven-year-old Jacob O'Shea was proud of two things yesterday: He lost his two front teeth and his mom let him carry his dad's FDNY Medal of Valor.
    The medal honors his father, James O'Shea, 41, a Queens firefighter assigned to Ladder 127 who died of a heart attack Sept. 27, 2003, after battling an arson blaze in Queens.

O'Shea was the first firefighter to die in the line of duty since the World Trade Center attacks.

"There are a lot of people here for my daddy," the little boy said, before pointing at the gap in the smile he inherited from his firefighter father.

As firefighters filed past him to honor his dad, Jacob rubbed his hand along the medal's purple ribbon and started to cry. "I'm sad, Mommy," he said, clinging to O'Shea's widow, Yetta, who held the couple's youngest son, Matthew, in her arms. "I want my dad."

As Yetta O'Shea comforted her children, the parents of another fallen firefighter, Thomas Brick, 30, saluted the hundreds of members of New York's Bravest who marched past them in a solemn tribute to the two fallen men.

Brick, who had been a firefighter for just two years, had dreamed of joining the FDNY since he was Jacob O'Shea's age.

Despite her grief, Brick's mother, Margaret, let a small smile cross her face as the bagpipers played "Yankee Doodle Dandy," and "Grand Old Flag," which were among her son's favorites.

"He loved to sing those songs with the guys in the firehouse. He fit right in in the house, they were always singing," Margaret Brick said, putting her hand on her husband's arm as he wiped tears from his eyes. "He loved being with these guys," she said, looking out at the mile-long swath of blue uniforms. "He's here today. I can feel him."

The Bricks have more than memories to keep their son's legacy alive. Last week, one of Brick's fellow firefighters from Ladder 36 had a 13-pound baby boy - the biggest ever born on Long Island - and named him Thomas. "As soon as he can listen, as soon as he can hear, I'll tell him about the guy who gave him his name," said the baby's father, Joseph Buono.

Just then, Brick's own children, Madeline, 5, and Aden, 4, joined hands as their mother, Meredith, looked on. Their fingers clasped together, the Brick children began to spin around and around and giggled, as if to prove that life and laughter can defeat the agony of loss.

Originally published on October 7, 2004

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-205470c.html