Thread: FDNY'S Medics Burned in Bid to Attend Fire Academy

FDNY'S Medics Burned in Bid to Attend Fire Academy

FDNY'S Medics Burned in Bid to Attend Fire Academy

Updated: 09-26-2005 03:52:09 PM

ANGELA MONTEFINISE
    Courtesy of The New York Post

A "severe staffing crisis" in the Fire Department's EMT division has cost a group of medics their promotions to the Fire Academy, according to their union - and they are not happy about it.

A group of 26 EMTs were slated to start at the academy tomorrow, but received word from their union Friday night that their promotions had gone up in smoke.

"We got a call out of the blue saying, 'Sorry, but you're not going to start at the academy after all,' " said one furious EMT, who has been waiting for 13 years to become a firefighter.

"This is my dream. I took the test. I took the physical. I resigned as an EMT. And now I have to go back?"

Bob Ungar, a representative of District Council 37's Local 2507 Uniformed EMTs and Paramedics Union, said the pending closing of St. Mary's Hospital in Brooklyn - coupled with a huge number of EMTs being promoted to the academy - has caused a "severe shortage" of "men on the street."

"This is a tough thing, but the department planned to promote too many people," he said.

"Our union has been working with the Fire Department over the last week trying to get this crisis resolved, and they've taken several steps, including sending these 26 people back to EMT."

Ungar also said an overtime cap has been removed from the EMT division, allowing "personnel who want to work to fill in those empty seats."

EMTs who are affiliated with the FDNY are allowed to take a ********* test after a year on the job for a shot at being a firefighter.

An FDNY spokesman could not confirm negotiations with the union, but did confirm that 26 EMTs were being sent back.

He said the EMTs had not completed their one-year probation period - but two angry EMTs told The Post that's not true.

"I have worked so hard for this every day and then it's just taken away from me," said a furious EMT. "It's like getting a car and being all excited, and then having the dealership say, sorry, we have to take that back."

Patrick Bahnken, president of Local 2507, admitted that the move is "regrettable" and said, "It's hard that these guys are caught in the middle."

The 26 EMTs are supposed to report to Fort Totten in Queens this week to return their firefighter equipment.

Although many medics were told they'll be in the January Fire Academy class, one furious EMT said, "How do we know this won't happen again? It's just absolutely, positively wrong."

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=17&id=44856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrator
    From what I have heard, this is not the first "slap in the face" the EMTs have felt lately. The dept may be short on personnel because this job has been devalued. Those who have stayed in & hoped for the academy are in a catch 22. Some have already left & joined NYPD.