Thread: Why have so many forgotten?

Why have so many forgotten?

How can so many, in so short a period of time, have forgotten the events of 11 September, 2001? I recall exactly where I was, what I was doing, and how fear turned to rage in seconds. I recall the F-16 streaking over Washington D.C. at supersonic speed, I remember the sonic boom. I remember the smell of burning wood, jet fuel, and flesh. I was there, at the Pentagon, not more than 1000 yards from the impact. I was awash in black smoke. I will never forget, not for one moment.

How can so many forget the loved, now lost? How can so many forget the bravery of police, fire, and military personnel? How can so many forget the young men and women who subject themselves at this very moment to frightful dangers? We sleep well today in our beds only because America's finest are prepared to do awful deeds in our defense.

Certainly, in this forum, I'm preaching to the choir. So be it. May the choir take up the song so that it is heard from valley to mountaintop. Never forget. Never.
    John

People forget because they are too far removed from the events.....

For many, 9-11 was an awful event they watched on the news. They then dropped cookies off at their local firehouse, told the fire and police how much they meant to them, and then promptly went back to their lives.

IT is up to people like us, that were either there, or that realize how great the sacrafice was, to remind the rest of what was lost.

that's sad

i think that to a lot of people the day of 9/11 was surreal, if im using that word correctly. i don't think that they can understand it because they haven't lost somebody they know through that. i sound like a hypocrit, because i didn't lose anybody in that attack, but i feel like the price that those firefighters paid was greater than what i can ever imagine doing. I guess that many people just live in their own little world. i definitely feel like people need to care more for others and give things up to help others as those firefighters have done and still do.

julia (navy_girl_always@yahoo.com)

Hi
    My Name is Oliver "Slammer" Huch from Germany and I never can`t forget and i don`t wan`t to forget. At Septmber 11 I switched on my TV and I can`t believed what I`ve seen their. I was shoked. At the Moment when the Towers colapsed I knowed that many Comrades of the NYFD and innocence civilians and Policemen are died at this moments and I start crying.
    And when ever I heart something about September 11 or see something about it at TV this Feelings are back. This tragedy lives in our soul forever.
    This Guys are never forgotten.

Slammer

( sorry for my English )
    Last edited by Slammer; 03-19-2006 at 01:43 PM.

I'll never forget

I also remember exactly where I was, what I was doing and the horror I felt when my phone rang and told me to turn on the TV. Yes, this happend across the nation from me, but, being a firefighter/EMT I knew exactly what was going on and the tears began to flow immediately. My brothers and sisters, whom I'd never met, were already gone and many rushing in to their demise without any thought at all that it was going to be there last day on earth. God Bless them all! and their families......how many times I prayed for them. Forget? I think that our country, as well as any other country, should never forget this incident, ever! The minute we forget, is the minute it will happen again.

I remember having a fundraiser at my department to send money to the families of fallen firefighters.

I, personally, have a print by Mr. Ricci of the Santa Rosa fire dept that is numbered and signed honoring Mr. Richard Kelly Jr. of Ladder #11. I am looking at it as I type this. I would love to find Mr. Kelly's family and give this print to them. If by chance, one of Mr. Kelly's family or friends see's this message, perhaps it can be passed along. I would like for them to email me so I can make arrangements to get this print to them. I would very much like his wife to have it, or someone in his family.

Please contact me at: dragonfly65a@yahoo.com if you know where I can contact Mr. Kelly's family

Thanks,
    Foxyff
    Kelseyville Fire Dept. 1987 - 2004