Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Texas Firefighter Collapses in Training

  1. #1
    Registered User SeaBreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002

    Texas Firefighter Collapses in Training

    Texas Firefighter Collapses in Training

    Firehouse.Com News

    The assistant chief of Valero Refinery Fire Brigade in Texas died April 3 at College Station Medical Center, the day after he collapsed following an exercise at the Brayton Fire Training Field.

    David Moore, 40, was in the rehab area after participating in a live burn drill when he collapsed after complaining that he wasn't feeling well. He was rushed to the medical center, but never regained consciousness.

    Medical tests determined that Moore, the father of three, had suffered a stroke, said Ponch Gonzales, a firefighter/paramedic with Bryan Fire Department.

    Recently, Moore and his family had discussed the importance of becoming organ donors; his wishes were carried out, Gonzales said. "It was a wonderful gift."

    The training session for Moore's fellow firefighters, slated to last all week, was canceled. Before being sent home, they met with grief counselors.

    The Brayton Fire Training Field, affiliated with Texas A&M University, is the largest facility for firefighters and emergency responders in the United States. On the 120-acre site, they have several buildings, towers, tanks, industrial plant structures and a ship where simulations are staged.

  2. #2
    Registered User SeaBreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Moore, David

    Age: 40
    Cause of Death: Stress/Overexertion
    Rank: Assistant Chief
    Nature of Death: Cerebrovascular Accident
    Classification: Industrial
    Emergency Duty: No

    Incident Date: 04/03/2006
    Duty Type: Training
    Incident Time: 10:30
    Activity Type: Other
    Death Date: 04/04/2006
    Fixed Prop. Use: Educational

    Fire Dept. Info:
    Valero Refinery Fire Brigade
    9701 Manchester
    Houston , Texas 77012
    Chief: Bruce King

    Initial Summary:
    Assistant Chief Moore was participating in a live fire training exercise at the Brayton Fire Training School. After completing the training evolution, and during rehab, Moore expressed that he was not feeling well then collapsed moments later from the effects of a stroke. He was treated at the scene, transported to the hospital and arrived in the Emergency Room within fifteen minutes; however, Assistant Chief Moore did not regain consciousness and passed away the following day.

    Memorial Fund Info:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts