Published: June 9, 2006

Filed at 2:33 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- One tower at the World Trade Center is on fire and the other has just been hit. Dozens of firefighters approach the burning buildings with shovels and their largest trucks. One takes off his helmet and sits down to rest, burying his face in his hand.

These images and others portraying firefighters at the trade center have been cast in a giant bronze sculpture to be unveiled Saturday, the first memorial to the 343 firefighters killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attack.

Six feet tall, 56 feet long and 7,000 pounds, the memorial has been affixed to the ''10 House,'' Engine Co. 10/Ladder Co. 10, across the street from where the south tower once stood.

The first major memorial for Sept. 11 firefighters was donated by a law firm that raised $1 million from its members and some of its shipping clients from Greece, Monaco and Canada.

Holland & Knight was inspired by the loss of its partner Glenn Winuk, a 20-year volunteer firefighter. The 40-year-old died at the trade center after racing from his office blocks away to help in the rescue effort.

Martin Rambusch, whose Jersey City, N.J., studio was hired for the job, said artists first considered a photographic display, but opted for a more permanent tribute that includes 46 three-dimensional figures to represent the firefighters and the rescue effort.

The artists spent hours with the Fire Department examining the equipment and gear used that day. While some firefighters are wearing badges that show different ranks, none are meant to represent any particular person, he said.

A plaque dedicating the memorial to Winuk is at the side of the sculpture and underneath is a list of the 343 names.

Department spokesman Jim Long said the FDNY was grateful ''for the attention and support'' from the law firm.

Across the street, work has stopped at the trade center memorial until architects and politicians can agree on a new design to fit a $500 million budget. A temporary transit hub is the only facility to be rebuilt on the 16-acre site.