Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: LODD Long Island Firefighter Fatally Electrocuted

  1. #1
    Administrator Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    South West

    LODD Long Island Firefighter Fatally Electrocuted

    Long Island Firefighter Fatally Electrocuted Removing Salvage Tarp
    Left Following Small Fire Earlier in the Week at Restaurant

    Updated: 06-18-2006 11:48:07 PM

    Courtesy WABC-TV, New York
    Reprinted with Permission

    A routine job ended with a Long Idland firefighter killed Friday night.

    He died doing cleanup on the roof of a building on Long Island that had a fire earlier this week.

    It happened at a hamburger stand in Lindenhurst.

    This is just a tragic reminder of just how dangerous firefighters jobs are. It doesn't mean just running into burning buildings. This was a simple, retrieval of a tarp on top of the Long Island Cheeseburger restaurant on Montauk Highway.

    There was a small fire on Tuesday, which wasn't serious. It was contained in the overhang -- the space between the ceiling and the roof.

    The West Babylon volunteer firefighter came to retrieve the tarp and somehow he may have fallen through a hole in the roof. It was wet and there were some wires there and he may have been electrocuted.

    The restaurant was open and some employees said this was a horrifying thing to witness.

    "He went up and we were inside the restaurant and we heard a thump and we turned around and he was hanging and I went in and got the owner," a witness said.

    The West Babylon Fire Department was on the scene late Friday night. They are not releasing this firefighters name yet because the family has just been notified. He was a volunteer firefighter for about 12 years.
    West Babylon Fire Dept.
    More info below

  2. #2
    Administrator Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    South West

    LODD Firefighter Michael Green

    Update: Department's 2005 Firefighter of the Year Leaves Behind Four Children

    The Associated Press has identified the fallen firefighter as 43-year-old Michael Green, who leaves behind four children. He was the department's Firefighter of the Year in 2005. In September, he was awarded a silver medal of valor for a rescue he and two other firefighters made at a house fire in Babylon.

    Green was removing the tarp when he came into contact with live electrical wires attached to the restaurant sign, the Chief of the West Babylon department said. Funeral information is pending.

    A memorial service is scheduled for Tuesday at 7:30 p.m., at the Chapey Funeral Home in East Islip, New York.
    West Babylon Fire Dept. Info link below.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts