Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Long Island Firefighter Fatally Electrocuted Removing Salvage Tarp

  1. #1
    Registered User SeaBreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,030

    Long Island Firefighter Fatally Electrocuted Removing Salvage Tarp

    Long Island Firefighter Fatally Electrocuted Removing Salvage Tarp

    Courtesy WABC-TV, New York
    Reprinted with Permission

    A routine job ended with a Long Island firefighter killed Friday night.

    He died doing cleanup on the roof of a building on Long Island that had a fire earlier this week.

    It happened at a hamburger stand in Lindenhurst.

    This is just a tragic reminder of just how dangerous firefighters jobs are. It doesn't mean just running into burning buildings. This was a simple, retrieval of a tarp on top of the Long Island Cheeseburger restaurant on Montauk Highway.

    There was a small fire on Tuesday, which wasn't serious. It was contained in the overhang -- the space between the ceiling and the roof.

    The West Babylon volunteer firefighter came to retrieve the tarp and somehow he may have fallen through a hole in the roof. It was wet and there were some wires there and he may have been electrocuted.

    The restaurant was open and some employees said this was a horrifying thing to witness.

    "He went up and we were inside the restaurant and we heard a thump and we turned around and he was hanging and I went in and got the owner," a witness said.

    The West Babylon Fire Department was on the scene late Friday night. They are not releasing this firefighters name yet because the family has just been notified. He was a volunteer firefighter for about 12 years.

    Update: Department's 2005 Firefighter of the Year Leaves Behind Four Children

    The Associated Press has identified the fallen firefighter as 43-year-old Michael Green, who leaves behind four children. He was the department's Firefighter of the Year in 2005. In September, he was awarded a silver medal of valor for a rescue he and two other firefighters made at a house fire in Babylon.

    Green was removing the tarp when he came into contact with live electrical wires attached to the restaurant sign, the Chief of the West Babylon department said.

    Funeral Information

    A viewing for Green will be held June 20, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. The department services will be held the same night at 7:30 p.m.

    The funeral service will begin at 11:45 a.m., June 21 at St. Joseph Church, Babylon Village, N.Y.


    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=39&id=49851

  2. #2
    Registered User SeaBreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,030
    Greene, Michael J.

    Age: 43
    Cause of Death: Fall
    Rank: Ex-Captain
    Nature of Death: Electrocution
    Classification: Volunteer
    Emergency Duty: Yes

    Incident Date: 06/16/2006
    Duty Type: On-Scene Fire
    Incident Time: 19:45
    Activity Type: Salvage and Overhaul
    Death Date: 06/16/2006
    Fixed Prop. Use: Public Assembly

    Fire Dept. Info:
    West Babylon Fire Department
    126 Arnold Ave.
    West Babylon , New York 11704
    Chief: Vincent J. Senzamici

    Initial Summary:
    Electrocuted while retrieving fire department equipment (tarp covering) at the scene of a structure fire from several days earlier.

    Memorial Fund Info:
    Michael J. Greene Memorial Fund, C/o West Babylon Fire Department, 126 Arnold Ave., West Babylon, NY 11704, to assist with the future education needs of Firefighter Greene's four surviving children.


    http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/applications...eath_year=2006

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •